Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
L8X51AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The product manual has this to say about hard drive and ssd support for a host of different envy models:

The manual - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04696907

Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5 mm (.37 in) and 7.0 mm (.28 in) thicknesses

Accelerometer / HDD protection support

Support for 2nd HDD

Support for SATA HDD (Port1)

Support for m.2 SSD (support storage function, assuming SSD >= 128 G, Port0)

Single HDD configurations

Support for the following single hard drive conƭgurations

• 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
  • 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm
  • 750-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm SSHD conƭgurations
  • 1-TB 5400-rpm 9.5–mm SSHD w/8 GB NAND

Dual storage conƭgurations

• 1-TB + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)
  • 4-TB: 2-TB (5400-rpm) x 2

SSD conƭgurations , (available for i7 + GTX PCA)

• 512 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)
  • 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC)
  • 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC) value

So HP Support assistant says I have the following laptop:

Product No:  M9X68AV

Model No: n000 CTO

While the my battery compartment notes I have this model:

Product No:  L8X51AV

Model No: 17t-n100

The instruction manual is not clear which storage configuration is applicable to which model.  Here is my laptop configuration:

Windows 10 Home 64
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB Discrete Graphics
16GB DDR3 - 2 DIMM
17.3-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Office Software Trial
Security Software Trial
6-cell 62WHr Lithium-ion Battery
SuperMulti DVD burner
Backlit Keyboard
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone, Fingerprint Reader
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [2x2]

I recently ordered this m.2 sata ssd from amazon but I am not sure its compatible with my system - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIW1XG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00.

Its a Samsung 850 500 GB M.2 3.5 Inch SSD Form Factor 80nm.  Can I use this in a dual configuration for my laptop with the current 5400 rpm 1TB HDD already in the system?  Or do I have to use one or another?  Or can I select a smaller storage SSD for a dual configuration?  I talk to a tech and he said my system only supports a 128GB ssd and he did not state if this is a dual configuration or a single drive configuration.  I find it hard to imaging a new 2015 envy with an i7 6700HQ Quad Core skylake processor only supports a measly 128GB SSD.  Any insights on what my system can support?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I can verify that it works just fine. I had the HP tech insist I could only use a single drive and a max capacity of 128GB. Those techs don't know squat. I am currently using a dual configuration with the OS and my programs on my 850 evo m.2 sata III 500GB SSD and my data files (videos, music, and pictures) on the preinstalled 1TB 5400 rpm HDD.

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88
HP Recommended

I have the same model (17t-n100) and the same question. Push for response. 

Thanks

HP Recommended
I can verify that it works just fine. I had the HP tech insist I could only use a single drive and a max capacity of 128GB. Those techs don't know squat. I am currently using a dual configuration with the OS and my programs on my 850 evo m.2 sata III 500GB SSD and my data files (videos, music, and pictures) on the preinstalled 1TB 5400 rpm HDD.
HP Recommended

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

I just ordered mine and I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $270 for the 256GB ssd, figuring I could add one. 

Its just a basic plug and go deal with the SSD right? Any tips or links would be great! Planning this add on in the next few weeks. 

HP Recommended

Be very thankful that you didn't pay the extra money for the SSD.

If you get the SSD, it comes as the stick and the SATA connectors are not installed! The extra bays are empty and they are worthless.

The parts cost a fortune and HP does not have them available (indefinitely....as far as I know). The ribbon cable is $25 (plus $20 shipping), and the connector can be found on another site for $70. You're looking at nearly $100 just to connect a basic spinner drive, and that's double the cost if you want to use both bays.

I returned my SSD version and got the one that you have. These SSD sticks are way easier to find and actually more affordable than going the reverse route.

Thanks for getting this question answered btw.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  I just ordered the HP n100 (with a 30% off online coupon from HP).  I ordered it with the standard 1T hard drive, and I was going to add a second SSD (which I, already, have).  After I ordered the computer, I discovered that it appears that the SSD which can be ordered with the computer has a different shape than the SSD I, already, have.   I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to use my current SSD with my new computer.  I was contemplating re-ordering my new computer with the extra SSD installed (an extra $$$).  It appears that it would be easiest to order a new SSD (as a stick) and install it myself.  Just out of curiosity, is there a second 2.5 bay for my current SSD?

HP Recommended

You actually havea  couple of options:

1) Replace optical drive with caddy - http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zen...

2) Use a PCIe M.2 SSD - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-256GB-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01639696U/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447518897...

I took the bottom off of mine yesterday and confirmed that it is the PCIe M.2 (notice the long and one short end with the dip in between - NOT the M style. I think it is called a B style)

I will getting one in the next few weeks. 

Hope this helps!

JMG

HP Recommended

jamesgravley wrote:

You actually have a  couple of options

1) Replace optical drive with caddy ...

2) Use a PCIe M.2 SSD - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-256GB-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01639696U/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447518897...

I think you can purchase the NON-Pro version of the SSD for about half the price.

As I undersand, the Pro version has faster read/write speeds (but I'm not sure).

HP Recommended

FYI....I got the Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 ssd for around $180. It works and it is fast.

HP Recommended

There are two bays and one spot for the M.2 ssd stick. If your second bay did not come with an hdd already installed, you may be missing the motherboard connector (and ribbon cable). That's the trouble with ordering this machine with just the SSD....the bays are useless.

You can find the connector parts out there, but they are hard to find and expensive. I believe there is also something out there you can put your 2.5" drive into and it replaces your disk drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.