Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
LAPTOP-DNUIJED9 HP laptop 14-cm0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

I tried to upload a screenshot of the grayed-out screen but it's not allowed. HP for the win!

HP Recommended

@KOA928gt3 Welcome to HP Community!

Please include the complete model name of your device, that said, is this your device? Click here to verify, if yes, you have a Elan touchpad driver and here's all you need to do, to disable the touchpad:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list.
  2. When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Soundsection and select Mouse.
  3. When Mouse settings window opens, you should see ELANor Device Settings tab. Switch to it.
  4. Locate Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it.
  5. Click Apply and OK to save changes.

If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side:

1. Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane.
  2. Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.

After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying but neither of those things work for me. The first attempt brings me right back to the grayed out trackpad disable option, I don't see the same things you do when I go into the Registry Editor. Can someone there please take over my laptop remotely and fix this?

HP Recommended

@KOA928gt3 We don't have remote session options as off now, and I wouldn't recommend you do that via any public forum to be on a safer side, that said, please export your registry files into an external storage device or save it online, before following the steps as you can always use the same file to restore settings and there's nothing to worry about, its not as hard as it looks, just follow the step by step guide and you'll be fine.

Let me know if you need anything else,

I'll be here until we get this sorted, and we shall together! 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately when I go to the Registry Editor I don't see HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse

Registry Editor.png

HP Recommended

@KOA928gt3 I suggest you reinstall the mouse drivers using the HP website: click here to find and install the same, once installed the mouse/touchpad drivers should be available on registry, please check and let me know, if you aren't comfortable doing this or you are in need of remote session, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.