Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed an SSD (Samsung EVO 850), and I want to ensure AHCI is set. Samsung Magician, says AHCI mode N/A, and I can't access the different menu items in the program. The PC is running Windows 10 - 64 bit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Now boots the machine in about 15 sec. without pause. Have no idea how it happened.
The only thing I did was to remove HD6520G card in the "Device Manager", turn the machine off completely, and after starting it again. The card was again visible in the "Device Manager". Catalyst Control Center also works, except that the program can not display the 2 cards, so you could say it works partially.
When the machine is now running fine, I can live with that Catalyst does not work 100%.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Help us to help you by posting the following information.

1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Product: HP Pavilion dv7

Model: dv7-6c10so

Product: A7T60EA#UUW.

[personal information removed]

BIOS version F. 1C, year 2013

HP Recommended

This is a constant drumbeat here. The Samsung Magician software caused more problems than it solves. Since your laptop has two hard drive bays, the storage controller is actually RAID...not AHCI. However, the RAID uses all the same protocols as AHCI and is in fact effectively AHCI...TRIM and native command queing are activated. You do not need to worry. Your SSD is running optimally despite what the "Magician" may suggest. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. If we assume the disk is running perfectly, then there is another problem.

After the Windows animation is shown when booting the machine, there is a long pause, where it looks as if the machine does not do anything in about 80 sec. then the Welcome screen is shown and the desktop is loaded in about 5- 10 sec.

How do I find out what's going on in the 80 sec.? Maybe it is something that could be disabled?

HP Recommended

How do you have the boot order set? It may be looking for something that is not there? Also there are several good boottime tweaking programs on the market (some freeware) that might let you alter what is trying to happen at boot and speed things up.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/measure-boot-time-windows

HP Recommended

Boot order:

Notebook Harddrive

Internal CD/DVD ROM drive

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive

USB CD/DVD ROM / Drive

! USB Floppy

! Network adapter

HP Recommended

what program do you recommend I try? I would like to have an overview of which programs start during the boot and how long each program uses.

HP Recommended

Did you check the link I gave you? There are a couple there that fill the bill

HP Recommended

I was hoping that you have experience with the programs, so you can recommend which one is the best and easiest to find out ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.