Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-bs234wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Can I upgrade the ram that comes with this from 4 to 16 gb?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@njmcbeth wrote:
I’m confused now. I contacted hp sales support after my post and the rep said that there’s 4 slots and it can be upgraded to 16gb. Please help.

Thanks

Ok,

Now, please contact them again and ask them to install 16GB for you with ONE condition: you ONLY pay 16GB if machine has 4 slots otherwise you have to install 8GB for you FREE.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@njmcbeth

No, you can't because

(a) Your machine only has Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000 processor (CPU), its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05987729

therefore it ONLY has 1 slot of RAM and supports 8GB max. You can use RAM from

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-15-bs234wm

(b) Your machine runs 32bit OS that means it can't see RAM over 4GB. You still can install 8GB of RAM but you can only use 4GB max.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
I’m confused now. I contacted hp sales support after my post and the rep said that there’s 4 slots and it can be upgraded to 16gb. Please help.

Thanks
HP Recommended

@njmcbeth wrote:

Thanks

Ok,

Now, please contact them again and ask them to install 16GB for you with ONE condition: you ONLY pay 16GB if machine has 4 slots otherwise you have to install 8GB for you FREE.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

I believe your information to be incorrect as follows:

The OS is 64 bit and not 32 bit as you have stated, and according to HP who I contacted directly - 

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations

• 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)
  • 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)
  • 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)
  • 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1)
  • 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)

You can add total 16 gb for that you can add 2 8gb or with this 4 gb add 8 gb and then make it 12gb RAM

In addition, upon checking the configuration on my local machine, it states that there is 4GB installed on 1 of 2 slots.

HP Recommended

I've seen the inside of the HP 15-bs234wm and can confirm that only one RAM slot is soldered onto the board. There are contacts for a second slot but no slot attatched. The HP manual says that the N5000 only supports 4GB but I wanted to see for myself so I purchased a 1x8GB DDR4 module. The official Intel spec says the N5000 supports up to 8GB.

I just installed the single 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz memory module and it works perfectly! Shows up as 8GB in the BIOS and 7.8GB in task manager as expected. 

HP Recommended

Is the speed a lot better as a result of adding the RAM?......Mine is so slow...

TY

HP Recommended

Not really noticeably faster, only helps if I want a lot of chrome tabs open.

For the speed of the computer there are a few things you can do that I have done myself: 

-Install an SSD to replace the stock hard drive

-Optimize Windows: disable and delete cortana, disable search indexing, disable system restore (system protection), disable startup items in task manager, optimize performance settings (drop shadows, smoothing, etc) in the advanced system settings, uninstall unnecessary programs like onedrive, disable all telemetry options and minimize data reporting / cloud connections in windows settings

-Use an adblocker for browser performance (this is even more important than getting an SSD if you have browser issues)

-Install latest drivers (graphics, chipset, wifi)

I was writing a guide for all of these steps but I realized they should be easy enough to search individually. I think the SSD and adblocker are the most important steps. I use uBlock origin and the difference in performance is very surprising. It mattered more when I was using a laptop with an N4000 but still very important with the N5000.

I have also upgraded my 15-bs234wm with a backlit keyboard and a new 1080p IPS display. If anyone wants my advice on those upgrades I'm always open to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.