Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@CNLindsaywrote:

Hopefully the problem is resolved by now; but in case this happens to anyone else, I had precisely the same issue and was able to fix it. B, N, Caps Lock, Del, and 2 & 7 on the numpad had stopped working. Hard-resetting the machine and reinstalling the keyboard driver did not fix the problem. 

To fix it, I removed the keyboard from the laptop, cleaned it thoroughly with compressed air, and also *very* gently cleaned with a dry cloth the connector which attaches the keyboard. The problem was resolved instantly. 

HP has video available showing how to remove the keyboard. It's very easy to do: it requires only a small phillips-head screwdriver with which to remove a single screw (on the dv7, at least). The whole process took me about 15 minutes, and I'm not particularly experienced with electronics repair at all.  

Hey, @CNLindsay,

I actually have been having this SAME EXACT issue with my new (probably a month old by now, but this issue occured within only it's first month) HP Notebook - 15-bs131nr. I've looked for videos for how to remove the keyboard to do what you suggested (as you seem to be the only legitimate and worthy source of unique advice among all of the HP support services) but I can't find a good one. I know we have different laptops, but would you mind sharing a link to that video you used? 

-Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@RaadAlam

Your HP 15 bs131nr is much harder to remove keyboard (or anything) than the DV7  mentioned above. I did look for a video but there is not one.

Your Maintenance & Service Guide is on your Support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-bs100-laptop-pc/16851388/model/18686327/manuals

Have you tested the keyboard using Diagnostics? Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key . Open Component Tests and look for keyboard test.

Your laptop has a 1 yr warranty. Before attempting any disassembly to take out keyboard I would contact HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-15-bs100-Laptop-PC/16851388/model/18686327

You will need Serial number for support. To get it quickly- minimize all open windows so you can see desktop screen. Next hold the fn key and press esc key.

Or, more ways here:https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@CherylGwrote:

@RaadAlam

Your HP 15 bs131nr is much harder to remove keyboard (or anything) than the DV7  mentioned above. I did look for a video but there is not one.

Your Maintenance & Service Guide is on your Support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-bs100-laptop-pc/16851388/model/18686327/manuals

Have you tested the keyboard using Diagnostics? Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key . Open Component Tests and look for keyboard test.

Your laptop has a 1 yr warranty. Before attempting any disassembly to take out keyboard I would contact HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-15-bs100-Laptop-PC/16851388/model/18686327

You will need Serial number for support. To get it quickly- minimize all open windows so you can see desktop screen. Next hold the fn key and press esc key.

Or, more ways here:https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

I've tried every test. I've also contacted HP support. The guy who tried to help me from HP just tried to setup some HP support app to try and help me troubleshoot, but when that didn't work he just said it's a hardware issue and to pay for it to be sent in for repair.
I've done that test, I've updated BIOS, my drivers, I've uninstalled my keyboard drivers through Device Manager, I've also reset my whole laptop through Recovery... the works. 

That only leaves hardware - despite how new this laptop is. My keys spontaneously started working again now, (which happens sometimes) and I feel like it must be a ribbon cable issue.

It appears that the keyboard ribbon cable is designed quite awkwardly - it's very long and it folds over itself - and I think that might be part of the issue. I also thought heating might have been part of the issue as well, as restarting made the keys work for a while... But more recently the keys actually don't work after restarting and suddenly start working again after prolonged use of the laptop.

It's beyond me that assistance from HP - the original manufacturers for this product - would require me to pay additional fees for the repair of a new laptop from them, without substantial proof of actual NEED for the repairs...No one at all on the forums, nor the representative who I spoke to, actually identified the issue. They're all just "Do this test? Update this software/driver?" "Hmm.. Seems like it's hardware related, contact HP support and buy a new keyboard." 
It discomforts me that I must blindly turn over a new laptop and more money, wait a couple weeks for shipping and repairs (unless I pay for expediting that to within a week), lose the ability to do my schoolwork on this laptop, and merely HOPE that the problem won't - if not remain - reoccur in a few weeks, months, or right after my warranty ends - because all they did was change my keyboard.

***I do understand it's near impossible to accurately identify a hardware related issue and that HP wouldn't want us digging around in their laptops unprofessionally, but they could at least have offered to reimburse me for my shipping costs if it actually was a defective laptop or hardware issue I didn't cause. 

Plus, I found a whole lot of forum posts about this same issue, with the same group of keys not working, from different HP laptops and such. All of the more helpful unique suggestions seemed to be from other members in the forum. Such as the one I commented on originally on this thread. I would have greatly appreciated an answer like that at least. For example, "Hey, if it's a hardware related issue causing your keyboard malfunction, it could be due to a faulty ribbon connector cable, heating from the laptop, or dust/debris beneath the keys. Before you attempt disassembly, I'd recommend sending the product out to HP and have one of our HP professional support technicians take a look at it and perform any needed repairs." 

I apologize severely for the attitude. I just needed to finally voice my complaint to someone. It's been tough.

I do appreciate you trying to find a video though for removing my keyboard. I did find a few helpful videos though, one for the disassembly of my laptop (not including the keyboard) and another for the removal of an HP keyboard similar enough to my model after a general disassembly (basically where the first video left off). 

-Raad

HP Recommended

@RaadAlam

I understand the frustration, especially on a new laptop. I have run into a couple of frustrated people this evening and trust me- you are by far the most polite in  your venting.

I am puzzled though at the Support tech telling you to pay to send it in. Normally the procedure is to create a case number and send a box with shipping label. I will ask for your case to be reviewed. Someone from HP should Reply on this thread and inform you if an HP Rep will contact you via PM for personal info.

HP Recommended

You're really kind, Cheryl - And, honestly, after a much needed venting. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get an extended warranty that covers accidental damage. It's on sale right now for about $74 for 2 years, and I think it's worth it for peace of mind and comfort for two years - Even if I do face some reoccuring issues. It's actually my first time buying a new laptop for myself. They're pretty fragile little things. I had considered myself handy enough to do most work myself and honestly never expected such a fiasco within my first few weeks with one.  But, ranting to you (after my endless hours of tinkering with this thing) must have gifted me some patience to get this warranty and wait the week or whatever it'll be to get a less frustrating version of this laptop.

HP Recommended

@RaadAlam

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I will keep in mind not to post public information. But, I believe a support forum shouldn't exclude difficult experiences with having dealt with support. It can be helpful.
But, just in case I'm breaking any rules, I'll try to express my concerns privately.

Thanks.
HP Recommended

@RaadAlam

No infractions on your part here at all. HP is pretty lenient as far as expressing your views. He was only referring to not posting Serial number or case numbers on forum. But even those are usually just edited out by a Mod if it happens - no punishment. :generic:

HP Recommended
Oh ok. I was just worried about that because I think you were right in that the support tech was puzzling about telling me that I had to pay to get my laptop sent out for repairs. I was reading about warranties, and I think my originally included warranty should have covered that, and the warranty I eventually bought, that the support tech had suggested (because I told him I wasn't comfortable paying for shipping my laptop out to HP) wasn't necessary... I also wanted the accidental damage coverage cus I figured that it's more worth it to check out hardware issues on my own (as the person I originally replied to in this forum had done) than deal with support, and hope that the warranty extension would keep me safe from any excuses from HP to make the repairs or ask for more money or anything else
HP Recommended

As I expected, the issue has reoccured in less than a year. Although it hadn't been bad enough for me to send it out to HP to have fixed (and honestly, I didn't want to have to deal with the long process of waiting again); it's right after my manufacturer's warranty now,  and I didn't realise it would expire this soon. It's been only a few days outside of the original warranty and I had bought a 2 year warranty extension back then in case this would happen. I think maybe I didn't activate it or something? I thought I'd get a warning or something before my warranty expired thought but now I'm freaking out that I'm gonna have to deal with this problem again after all that trouble. I was hoping to find help with what happened with that warranty extension so I can send this laptop out, but navigating HP Support is pretty frustrating. I kept getting sent in circles and being asked to sign in repeatedly and getting nowhere. After that, I have returned to the support forums again, hoping for assistance in this matter. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.