Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I reduced the size of the Windows 8.1 partition and created some new partitions in the open space.

I have installed Linux in one of the new partitions.

Poweron the Notebook, using ESC to give the startupmenu, selecting F9 shows the boot device options and the posibility to select the new Linux and start it. No problem sofar.

But I would like to make this change permanently. I tried two things.

1. Changing the sequence in the  Bios setup -> configuration. but it does not show the new Linux

2. Changing the boot order from linux using the efibootmgr with the new linux on the first position of the boot order, apears to be overiden by the HP Bios (UEFI).

The question is how to change the boot sequence permanantly in the Bios (UEFI) ?

thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi elefant,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you installed Linux on a separate partition and would like to know if you can permanently change the boot order. 

Here is a link to Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs). If you would like further assistance, please try the Linux provider's  forum. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I went through the FAQ, but it did not solve the problem.

In the BIOS setup utility (F10) using the arrow keys, selecting System Configuration, followed by Boot Options. the following is shown (only the relevant options are shown here):

Legacy boot <Disabled>

Secure boot <Enabled>

UEFI Boot Order

internal CD/DVD Rom Drive

OS Boot Manager                      (is actually Windows 8.1)

USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Drive

USB CD/DVD Rom Drive

!Network Adapter

the new OpenSUSE 13.1 is present when selecting F9 (Boot device options).

The question is that I would like to change the UEFI Boot Order permanantly to a linux partition, but it can not be selected.

HP Recommended

I bought a hp pavilion 15 notebook pc with board ID: 21DE some months ago and unfortunately my hdd went bad don’t know why, i bought a new hdd and tried to install window 7 but all i get is the following error:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

i have read a lot of post on legacy support from bios but i cant find Legacy Support in my bios.

Please advise on what to do to resolve this

HP Recommended

Hi esulove,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that after replacing the the hard drive you are getting a "Boot Device not found error"

First I would suggest you go to the bios and do a restore, this should allow it to scan for any changes.

If that did not resolve it please follow this link Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista).

If you require further assistance. please reply with the results from the troubleshooting,

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

What the problem is that HP and some other manufacutors and/or microsoft have chossen to lock down the UEFI boot sequence and hard coded to always boot to OS Boot Manager which is windows regardless and any changes attempted are overwritten and put back to the way thay were. Only way to coorect this issue is to rename or delete the boot up files the system is looking for and once they can't be found it will proceed to the next option. We should not have to do that. HP needs to remoce this hard coded condition so the user can use their computer the way it was indended. This is something that coparate will have to undertake. No amout question and answer forum can settle this. Its not scripted in a manual on a tech support desk. I will be glad to hear your thoughts on the matter and if HP has any process in the works to correct this problem since it goes against the UEFI global universai outline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.