Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello

I have a HP Pavilion - 15-cs0800no that had a 128 GB M.2 SSD inside it and it broke so i wanted to replace it with a disk i had lying around. I had a Samsung PM981 SSD M.2 2280 NVMe - 256GB lying around which i put into the machine. When i booted up the Machine said there is no drive put in and i was thinking it was a BIOS setting or something so i went into the BIOS and could not find anything. However, when i go to "System Configuration > Boot  Options" in the bios and press enter on the "OS Boot order"  it shows the Windows Boot Manager as "SanDisk SD9SN8W-128G-1006" which is the drive i removed.

Anyone know why this is and how i can make it work? I have tested the NvME drive in another PC and it works.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The drive you removed is SATA.

Sandisk SD9SN8W-128G-1006 - 128GB M.2 2280 SATA III NGFF Solid State SSD (cpumedics.com)

The service manual indicates that both SATA and NVMe SSD's are supported.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC

There is a disclaimer of 'select products only.'

Since the NVMe drive didn't work, perhaps your specific model notebook's M.2 slot only supports SATA drive.

You may want to try firmly seating the NVMe drive in the slot. Perhaps it didn't make good contact.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

I removed the drive and put it back in a few times before writing this thinking the same. What i found wierd is that when i go to "System Configuration > Boot  Options" in the bios and press enter on the "OS Boot order"  it shows the Windows Boot Manager as "SanDisk SD9SN8W-128G-1006" which is the drive i removed and not the drive currently in and i wonder why that is.

Do you know if there is any settings or something i need to clear to make the new drive work?

HP Recommended

That is strange.

The NVMe drive uses a different drive controller than a SATA drive does, and the BIOS should have picked up the NVMe drive if it is supported.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to do a hard reset of the notebook and see if it clears out that old information.

Follow the guidance under the 'Reset a laptop with a sealed or non-removable battery' section.

HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop​ | HP® Customer Support

If you had a working hard drive, you could clear out that old boot manager info using the guidance at the link below.

Script Clear Windows Boot Manager entries from UEFI (Powershell) (microsoft.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.