Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 640 G1

Hi, Everyone!

I have a friend who gave me two ProBook 640 G1 and also gave me chargers to go with them. They are not the chargers that came with the laptop, so I'm wondering if I have the correct ones. I can't seem to find a good answer, whenever looking for parts online (such as ebay, and other online store fronts) they all suggest an 18.5V charger.

This page suggests a mix of 19V and 18.5V https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04027668#AbT3

However, inside my battery bay it say input 19.5V

Inside battery bayInside battery bay

So, I am left very confused as to which I should use.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would not buy a charger with a greater wattage than what HP lists in the manual.

You can't go wrong buying one of the 90W charger part numbers listed in the manual.

You are correct.  The notebook should only use what wattage it needs.

The 65W chargers would be OK, unless your notebooks have the switchable Intel/AMD graphics adapters which require more power.

Also the higher wattage chargers will normally charge the battery faster.

I am pretty sure that if you do a search on eBay by one of the charger part numbers, you will find many for sale including the power cord.

If you buy them new from HP,  they will cost a fortune.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if any of the chargers you received have one of the part numbers listed in chapter 3, page 49 of the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823617

If they don't, buy a used but tested and working genuine HP charger on eBay, using one of the part numbers from the manual.

I suggest buying one of the 90W chargers listed.

HP Recommended

It is not listed there. I have the model 677762-001 which is a 120w charger

According to this page and this one the 90w adapters are 19.5V

So, should I be okay with a 19.5V 120w charger? Am I correct in think the laptop will only draw the amount of watts it needs as long as the voltages matches correctly?

And I have the 14-inch model if it makes a difference

Thank you for you quick reply!

HP Recommended

And yes I agree that using a genuine 90w adapter would be the best solution, but are my assumptions mostly correct in my post above?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would not buy a charger with a greater wattage than what HP lists in the manual.

You can't go wrong buying one of the 90W charger part numbers listed in the manual.

You are correct.  The notebook should only use what wattage it needs.

The 65W chargers would be OK, unless your notebooks have the switchable Intel/AMD graphics adapters which require more power.

Also the higher wattage chargers will normally charge the battery faster.

I am pretty sure that if you do a search on eBay by one of the charger part numbers, you will find many for sale including the power cord.

If you buy them new from HP,  they will cost a fortune.

HP Recommended

I have one with Intel/AMD graphics, and one without. So it would be one 90w and one 65w then. I will lookup the part numbers referenced in the manual you provided me. Thank you very much for all your help!  🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You could get the 90W one for both, unless the 65W charger is a lot cheaper.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.