Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy ah0910nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to charge my HP envy ah0910nd (2018 model) via usb c (with an 10 watt usb adapter and an anker USB A to USB C cable), but this doesn't work. I updated the drivers and the bios, still not working. Is USB C charging even supported?

Thanks for replying

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @anonynnous,

Hmm... I seem to find conflicting information.

Your laptop's Specifications Page mentions Power Delivery but your User Guide describes it simply as a data transfer/display output port with HP Sleep and Charge.

One would normally assume that an HP notebook with a proprietary barrel charging port would not accept power through a USB-C port but this does seem to be an exception on more and more devices including those such as the HP Elitebook 800 G5 series. (But those have Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Even if this laptop does accept charging through the USB-C port, you, unfortunately, need a much more powerful charger - your current charger is 65W.

You may need to contact HP for a more accurate answer but I would personally try some chargers out myself and return the items if charging indeed doesn't work. Although it's only 60W, this may work: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Matebook/dp/B07BQJWDRM/ref=pd_sim_107_5?_enc...

You also need to purchase the USB-C to USB-C cable then.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended
Just found out that I can charge the laptop when it’s in sleep mode it does charge, but the charging light turns off when I turn the laptop back on, can I get around this?
HP Recommended

Hello @anonynnous,

Ok well, this breaks the norm that ENVY laptops with a separate charging port cannot be charged through the USB-C port.

Anyhow, as stated in my previous post, 10W is not sufficient enough and therefore your laptop only charges in sleep mode - not when in use.

The Anker charger I posted above would be in your best interest, in addition to the purchasing of a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

HP Envy laptop - Not currently able to charge via the charging barrel port. Reason yet to be established.

Is there any other way of charging available? Possibly using the USB ports

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

it depends which envy model you have, I have the 2018 version which has a usb c port besides the normal charging barrel port. If you have a hp envy 2018 (and possibly 2019 models as well) you can also charge via the usb c port using a usb c cable and any charger you have.

My laptop charges over usb c, even with a 10 watt ipad charger, however then it only charges when it is in sleep mode (with the lid closed). But I can see that it charges because the charging light turns orange. I tried charging it with a 5 watt charger but then the charging stops after a minute or so. 10 seconds after it stops it begins again, but then it stops again after a minute. My advice if you have the right envy model: charge the laptop via usb c with a 10 watt charger (or more).

(With a 10 watt charger the laptop charges, but slowly, on average 10-15% per hour)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.