Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am wanting to clean install W10 on my new laptop.

Will there be issues with HP drivers at all? With my previous two Acers, W10 just automatically gets the drivers.

Also, will this mean I can never use the HP support assistant again to check my warranty, or can it cause issues with warranty?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes wifi and BT will be under networking and you need one of each...same with chipset....there will be the actual chipset driver and then a couple assorted drivers like maybe usb 3.0...you say your usb ports are all black inside....does any have the SS witth the lightning bolt next to it? That is the other indicator of usb 3. Basically you need one driver with each of the titles and pick the one with the latest release date. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Have you previously upgraded to Windows 10? Once you do that you can clean install as the Microsoft activation servers will "know" your computer and allow activation of Windows 10. If you have never had it before it will not activate if you try to do a clean install, unless you buy a Windows 10 license code. Free Update expires 7/29/16 so if you are going to do it, do it soon. Warranty will not be a problem and HP Support Assistant has a version that works in Windows 10 just fine. For computers that came with Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 10 generally installs all the drivers. A few might have to be updated through Windows Update. The glaring exception is Intel/nVidia switchable graphics which does not function well under Windows 10 but I don't think you have that hardware. 

HP Recommended

Hello Jaydog69

I actually recommend you to reinstall Windows 10, this so you get rid of HP it's bloatware.

Will there be issues with your drivers, just download the drivers from the HP product support page.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7609954&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

You can always check your warranty via your serial number: 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home

or

http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

Do you have any more questions?

Winos

The doors of wisdom are never shut. Benjamin Franklin
&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

HP Recommended

Thanks guys. I already have W10 installed as part of my HP laptop.

So do I download the drivers once I've clean installed Windows?

HP Recommended

Yes to the extent you even need to do it. There is a complete set of Windows 10 64 bit drivers here:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7609954&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

Just be sure to pull down the OS menu to Windows 10. HP Support Assistant is there, etc. If you really want to be 100% sure of no problems just download and store all these drivers on a thumb drive and use it after install if you have to. 

HP Recommended

I totally agree with Huffer

The doors of wisdom are never shut. Benjamin Franklin
&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

HP Recommended

Ok so chances are, I probably won't even need them right?

HP Recommended

Well Windows 10 will install working, but generic drivers on the first pass and then better drivers through Update in some cases. I like to be sure my computers are running the best available drivers so I install the manufacturer drivers. This is probably overkill. We are overthinking this. How did your Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 work? If everything was working in that instance no reason to think a clean install will be any different. 

I would at least put the network drivers and HP Support Assistant onthe thumb drive. If for some unlikely reason you do not have Internet access afte the install, you can then at least get on the internet and use HPSA to find and install any other drivers and apps that are needed but missing. 

HP Recommended

Windows 10 was already installed. 

I take it then that the drivers are an exe. file and I just run it on my laptop after installing W10?

My concern is that it'll just add back all the waste to the laptop and be like it was when I got it again?

HP Recommended

Drivers are not waste. The waste (I think you mean bloat) is all the preloaded apps. You can certainly pick and choose what you put back on. You can also use something like PC decrapifier to remove bloat from your machine. Reinstalling to get rid of bloat is a lot of work that is probably not needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.