Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am looking for a compatible USB-C Multiport Adapater/Dongle for my 2016 HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake).

I'm looking at 3 options I found:

1. Dell: USB Type C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB Adapter (Model # 470-ABQN)
2. Apple: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (Model # MJ1K2AM/A)
3. Cable Matters: USB-C to HDMI / VGA / Ethernet / USB Multiport 4K UHD Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) [Model # 201014-BLK]

Has anyone used any of them with the Spectre x360? Would appreciate any positive/negative experience.

Thanks,
Jack

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP may have produce few other adapters at a later date. Please wait or try the following fully tested and supported adapters:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-1058ENW.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I need to use HDMI & VGA for my work, so can't wait :Crying:

HP Recommended

So, I took a chance and got the Cable Matters USB-C adapter. Eveything works like a charm!

HP Recommended

Hey there. Is this still working?
I am researching one to buy and this looks the most affordable option so far - 

Does it charge the laptop while you use it?  Can you confirm that the ethernet and HDMI out ports work?

HP Recommended
@merskamp

So far it's working fine. I'm using HDMI almost everyday, no problem there. I tried the ethernet port only once (when I first received it), but that also worked.

I'm not sure what do you mean by charging, this adapter doesn't have a USB-C. When this is connected, you can use the other USB-C port on the laptop to charge of course.

Hope this helps.
HP Recommended

Perfect! And of course the other port, d'oh. Should have thought of that myself.

I'll take a chance on this too - thanks very much for your help. 

HP Recommended

I have bought Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (Model # MJ1K2AM/A))

I can cofirm that HDMI works, USB works, charging over USB-C does not work.

Should I install any drivers or so to make it work? Anyone knows?

HP Recommended

Adapters I tried did not require any special driver installs based on my trial and error for the spectre x360 (kaby lake version).  I think it's just recognized as just another USB hub.  Any accessories you attach to the hub will require driver install but most should be automatically recognized by Widows 10.   All the adapters I have tried, be it passthrough power delivery or own power supply, HP prompts to use HP supplied power adapter.  The pop up goes away until you disconnect/reconnect the adapter again.  The pop up comes up regardless of using HP supplied power adapter for passthrough adapters by the way...  If yours doesn't work, it could be the unit is defective or the unit is not compatible with the power delivery standards.  But power passthrough should work as long as you connect the right power adapter. Our laptop needs 45W (20V/2.25A).  Could be an issue with the USB Type C cable that came with the unit as well.  Learned the hard way the intricacy of USB Type C compatibility.  It'll get better as the standard matures but right now, you need to do some reading and let others be the guinea pig first to confirm working with our laptop. 

Here are the adapters/docks that worked for me as I played around a long time to look for perfect desktop and travel adapters.  All purchased on Amazon.

1. MOKiN Type-C to HDMI/USB 3.0/USB C/F Multiport Adapter ($29.99).  Has passthrough Power Delivery so you can plug the HP charger on the adapter to power the laptop to free up 1 type c port.   It works but not the best built quality

2. sunshot-tech USB C to HDMI Adapter ($18.99).  It's a straight forward HDMI adapter. Though it worked okay, from time to time when waking from sleep, I had to unplug and replug the adapter for it to work.

3. HooToo shuttle 3.1 type c hub with power delivery ($24.99).  Only has 3 USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader with passthrough power delivery.  Works fine.  They have a more expensive one with HDMI output as well.  HooToo is built well and good customer service I found.

4. Tendak portable 3-port USB 3.0 Hub Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ($17.99).  It has exactly what the name says. The look is more industrial and a bit bulky too so didn't like this one at all. 

5. Plugable UD-CA1 ($129).  This one is the truest dock station that combines all the ports I needed.  Well, the only thing it doesn't have is the SD card reader.  Provides ample power (60W), 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 usb c port, 2 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI, Ethernet, microphone in, headphone out jacks. The 1st unit kept on disconnecting but the replacement works flawlessly.  Their customer service is impeccable.  It's a bit pricey I though but I should have saved the hassle of trying different ones and just got this from the get go for my desktop setup.   I wanted a docking station with its own power too so I don't have to use the HP one (to use for travel and backup). So, considering another power adapter would be like 50 bucks and more trial and error, the price of the dock isn't so bad.  They have another version ($179) that gives multi display options too.

For travelling, that combines all the essentials, I am considering the below:

1. TNP multi port adapter ($37.99).  This one has 1 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI, 1 Ethernet jack, and passthrough power delivery.  I'm not familiar at all the brand and the pricing is lower than others so not sure about the quality but reviews confirm this working with the x360. 

2. Benfei USB C to HDMI 4K ($69.99).  This one has all the ports but more portable than plugable.  1 HDMI, 1 Ethernet, 2 USB 3.0, SD card reader, and pass through power delivery.  Another foreign brand and sounds good on paper. 

One word about these adapters.  Initially, any time the computer goes to sleep and awake, adapters periodically could not be recognized so had to disconnect and reconnect.  Thought it was the adapter issue but it's actually the software issue.  I disabled USB selective suspend setting and disabled allow computer to turn off this device to save power under "Power Management" of each USB Root Hub and that seem to fixed the issue of disconnect/reconnect on sleep.  I don't know if what I did fixed it or if one of the HP updates fixed it or it just started to work better after I did some registry cleaning (Wise Care 365), but they work now.  I only use Plugable now until I can find a better/compact portable one for travel.

If you are looking for alternative power supply, Innergie powergear 45W ($59.99) works well.  I actually wanted to buy another HP power adapter that came with the laptop (it's so portable when using the prong option) but nowhere could I find it and HP sales wasn't much help so went with other brands.  I'm sure more and more are coming out with lower price points so if you could wait, I would wait...  One very promsing portable charger is "Helper USB C charger" but I am just waiting for more reviews to come in because I don't want to burn the house down.

HP Recommended

I am interested in getting DELL DA200 Adapter to run on my HP Sprectre X360. It has USB-C thunderbolt 3 plug and 4 other ports - Ethernet, USB 3.1, HDMI, and VGA. What I need most are VGA and HDMI for presentation. Has anyone tried it on X360?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.