Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G6
Linux

My laptop' s in-built keyboard started acting incredibly strange out of nowhere, The f2, f7, f8, f11, Numpad-8, Spacebar, Tab, M, V, and the down and right arrow keys stopped working entirely, up arrow triggers right alt, right alt now triggers numpad-enter, numpad-enter triggers down arrow,  right control triggers page down, and the slash on the numpad now triggers insert. I don't think it's a driver issue because booting into windows yields the same results.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

This problem is not a hardware problem. It is a windows related problem 

Go to Control Panel/Ease of Access/Mouse/

Turned off - Mouse Keys Use numeric keypad to move mouse around screen

If this is not then your keyboard have to replacement.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you enter BIOS at startup, do the keys work corectly (such as the arrow keys)

If you attach an external USB keyboard, does it function correctly?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

It's a yes to both questions

Quick Edit: It's happening intermittently now, it'll stop working for an annoyingly long period of time and then start working normally for a short while

HP Recommended

OK.

Are you able to enter diagnostics at startup with the F2 key

I believe there is also the keyboard test.

Does it pass the test.

Has any liquid recently been spilled on keyboard?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

1. The only two options available for in the diagnostics tool were the memory and hard drive checks.
2. No spills, at least to my knowledge. I did use a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the residue left behind by a sticker about a month back, but ended up just taking off all the keycaps and scrubbing them clean over a sink (Although dropping 2 keycaps down the drainin the process)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.