Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a hp evvy 15 j101tx with the following specs:

• Intel core i7 4702mq
  • 8gb ram
  • 1tb hdd with 24gb msata cache
  • 1920 X 1080 FHD touchscreen panel
  • Nvidia gt 750m with 4gb ddr3 dedicated video memory.

However, My laptop has been constantly having issues to do with hard drive failure. I bought the laptop in May 2013 and i have replaced my hard drives six times so far. Even the last SSD(Crucial 256GB) that i used failed. Is there a problem with the motherboard or the laptop??

Note: I am now using the 24gb msata as boot drive since a hard drive rplacement only lasts for approximately six months and then dies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nobert_01

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

I ran into a similar problem with an old HP Media Center PC.  It started "eating" hard drives (like your laptop), and in the span of 6 months went through three of them!

I checked into alternatives, including replacing the motherboard (which I can do in a desktop), and found that the motherboards in HP PCs are custom-made by third partied and (generally) not available to consumers.

I suspect you will find the same problem with your laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Nobert_01

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

I ran into a similar problem with an old HP Media Center PC.  It started "eating" hard drives (like your laptop), and in the span of 6 months went through three of them!

I checked into alternatives, including replacing the motherboard (which I can do in a desktop), and found that the motherboards in HP PCs are custom-made by third partied and (generally) not available to consumers.

I suspect you will find the same problem with your laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much Wawood.

This laptop has driven me nuts over the last few years. Anyway, I am thinking of getting a higher capacity msata to use as my boot drive. Newegg offers the samsung 850 evo 256gb version for 99 dollars. I hope that will solve my problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.