Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G7 Notebook PC

I have had my Contour RollerMouse for years and I have been using it with my HP Laptop for 10 months now. Last week the Roller mouse started playing tricks; scrolling, Copy/Paste buttons don't work, etc. I ordered a new Contour RollerMouse, but the same strange behavior continues, so the problem must be somehow in the laptop or in the compatibility of the laptop and the roller mouse. The strange thing is that I have been using the same roller mouse for the entire existence of the machine, now it doesn't work anymore.  I have installed new drivers and done all possible HP checks. Nothing seems to help! What could I do next?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I would like to add to this thread with a similar situation.  In my case, my new ZBook Fury G8 has never worked with my Countour Rollermouse Pro3, but my older ZBook has always worked fine with it, still does.

At first the mouse would spontaneously disconnect and reconnect every few minutes  (or seconds), and it was impossible to use.  I have worked with tech support & have reinstalled the system, replaced the system board, but nothing has solved it.  Now, instead of disconnecting and reconnecting (with the tell-tale tone), it just stops working.

I have submitted a ticket with Contour Design, but have not heard back yet.  Maybe you should try that also? I'll post here if they have any solutions.

This is very frustrating, because I absolutely MUST use an ergonomic mouse or I start to feel it within an hour or so.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear - and then again - happy to hear that I'm not the only one! And I really need that mouse too!

I have been in contact with the Countour Desing, they even asked some extra question, but nothing after that! I'll search for that email and remind them about this! I have also contacted HP, but no comments!

What OS version are you using? My old has Win10 and new one has Win11, but I guess that doesn't mean anything as the Roller mouse worked for a month or two after the new Win version was installed. 

HP Recommended

Okay, just spent almost an hour with the tech support from Contour Designs, and we definitely solved one problem and might have solved the other.  I will share the steps we took, and you can replicate them.  But to answer your question: both my computers have been on Windows 10. 

First I need to clarify that I had two distinct problems. 

1) Frequent completely disconnecting of the mouse and then reconnecting for no apparent reason, with the associated signal tone that a UBS port has been unplugged and plugged in again, although nothing was physically changed.  Used to be constant, this problem has only happened a few times in the last few weeks, but it did happen.

2)  The cursor would stop responding to the rollermouse whenever a USB drive was plugged in or an application dialog box would open, such as when I opened my security camera viewer.  This last one was known to the tech and Contour designs, and it is fixed in the new driver.

For the second issue, delete your ContourDesigns software,  go to the their website and download their latest driver/software, 3.03:  https://contourdesign.com/pages/drivers  (Windows will not automatically install their latest update!  You have to.)  See if this does not solve all your problems.

For the first: the tech ran System File Checker in a command prompt window.  It discovered a few system files that were corrupted and then fixed them.  I will not know if that solved the bigger problem until a few weeks go by and the problem does not recur.  (Mind you, I have reinstalled my entire system from an HP reinstall file very recently, so whatever corruption I had came with the system.)

This is an article that tells you how to run System File Checker: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-scannow-command-fix-problems-windows-10

I wish I had knows about SFC a long time ago.  It might have saved me a lot of time and anguish over the years.  I thank the Contour Designs technician for teaching me that.

Please let me know if the new software solved all your problems before running SFC.  But I'd run SFC anyway, because why not fix all your system files?

HP Recommended

Hold on, I spoke too soon.

My Rollermouse has been back to its old problems again, after a hiatus of about a week.

Except the problem with dialog boxes.  That seems to be fixed.  So just the random disconnects and it stops working when another usb drive is plugged in.

Will update when I have something new.

HP Recommended

I contacted Contour and got a new driver version. Now my RollerMouse seems to be almost ok, but the Copy - Paste buttons are not working. So as long as I remember that, I can cope with this. Version they sent me is 2.3.3037n. 

Strange thing in this has been that for a while, everything seems to be ok, and then suddenly the problems start again. But ask for the new driver from Contour support! And let me know if it helps or not 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.