Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0020nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this product before six months or so. Lately, when I'm playing games, my CPU (Ryzen 7 3550H) runs too hot and fans work too loud.  When I'm playing Apex Legends my CPU load is around %50 and the temperature rises up to 100-105 Celcius often. Its usage is %90 and temperature is 90-100 Celcius when playing Batman: Arkham Knight. It wasn't running too hot and noisy until one or two months ago as long as I remember, and I have just cleaned my fans and changed thermal paste.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I'm no gamer, but I do know if a fan is not running at the correct RPMs it will allow too much heat to accumulate. And also, bent or damaged heatsink pipes. If it ain't the fan or a driver that's making the RPMs not run correctly then I dunno what else the problem could be since you already swapped the thermal paste. As far as I know, a fan will be noisy under load, but a noisy fan can also be a failing one. Are you also monitoring the RPMs with the temperature? It could potentially be a driver issue if you're running Windows but that's beyond my expertise as I've got no experience running and installing drivers with an AMD Ryzen chipset.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. I do not monitor the RPM I just monitor CPU usage and temperature (and the GPU temperature) with the Open Hardware Monitor program. Yes, I use Windows, and also I don't understand much about the computer and hardware/software systems, so I don't know what the problem is either.

HP Recommended

You are welcome. Have you checked the copper heatsink pipe to see if it had been damaged? Also, check for fan/cooling related options in the BIOS settings. It might likely not be the culprit, but it'll rule out the BIOS. Have you updated the UEFI/BIOS having since gotten the laptop? If you bought it 6 months ago, you might still have warranty on the unit? I apologize if my response is a little silly.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what kind of options HP puts in a UEFI based BIOS, but in some custom computers there might be tools or settings dealing with the cooling fans. If that's not so, SpeedFan might be able to see fan RPMs if you're concerned your cooling fan might not be functioning properly. Sorry I couldn't be of much help. If it started running hot after a driver update from your GPU vendor, have you tried reverting the driver version to see if it runs correctly like before?

HP Recommended

Also 90-100 degrees celsius is in the extreme temperature range. Your system undergoes thermal events/ shuts down from getting too hot?

HP Recommended

By the way, what's the cooling configuration on this laptop? Is the heat sink for the GPU separate from the main CPU heatsink or does it share the same pipe and or fins that a fan blows through? I'm asking because it could have a separate fan cooling the GPU fins and a fan dedicated to cooling the CPU. But based on what you said, I don't think that this is likely because the CPU and GPU were at high temperatures, I think.

HP Recommended

I updated BIOS just today, nothing changed. No, my laptop does not shut down after those high temperatures it just cools for 3 to 5 degrees for just a second and then rises again. I don't really understand cooling configuration stuff, I don't even open up my PC and clean it by myself so I'm sorry for not being helpful to you and myself. When playing games, GPU's temperature is not at high levels, it's around 70-80C. I don't know reverting the driver version of GPU might help, there were lots of Nvidia driver updates since I bought this product, but I'll try it if you say so.  I also just tried to reduce CPU load from 100% to 95%, but guess it did not help. Thank you for your responses and your efforts.

HP Recommended

I am sorry I wasn't able to solve your issue. I have seen a similar situation but it was a 10-year old system. Long story short, I used Linux for gaming on this system and the temps weren't right and the fans were quiet. Running Windows made the fans louder and the GPU cooler. I wish you luck and that you get your problem resolved. It turned out I needed to use the driver provided by the OEM, not the GPU manufacturer. I don't know if this information will help you, but I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your efforts anyway, it matters. Now a new problem came from nowhere, one of my USB ports is not working (I just have two of them) I tried different devices and none of them worked, I'm just fed up with these...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.