Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavillon power 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i noticed a frequency drop in my cpu when i play games , not always but most of the times it usually fixes when i restart my pc but eventually it comes back . so i installed XTU and noticed i have Current limit throttling my frequnce drops to 1.3 sometimes even to 1.8 ghz. my temps are good around 75 C, i upadet my drivers and  updated bios to the last version and it didnt help . note that it only happens when i use my gpu and wont happen if i put the cpu under heavy load .

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So i finally found a solution for this problem its quite easy

After turning on the laptop go in device Manager and uninstall Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant  and select to delete the driver software for this device

i post this so if any one else has this problem you can actually help them  

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hey there! @hessam_7800gtx, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the CPU usage is very high on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you play games on your PC the CPU usage is very high on your PC.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

You can try updating the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

Try performing the following ts steps:

1 - Right-click on any open space on your computer's taskbar.

2 -Select "Task Manager" and press "Enter."

3 -Select "View" from the Taskbar Manager's pull-down menu. If more than one computer is connected to your network, notice the graphs for all CPUs. Select "One Graph Per CPU." This will help determine which computers are using more processing time.

4 -Go to the "Applications" tab. Because this tab shows open programs in real time, you will be able to see exactly when a program has been opened and closed at the time that it occurs. Identify and close selected programs by highlighting each one separately and clicking on "End Task" to free up processing time. (Important: Make sure all work is saved prior to closing any programs.)

5 -Go to the "Processes" tab and view them, but do not delete any of them unless absolutely necessary. All of the hidden system processes and programs are listed here. (Note: See Warnings section.)

6 -Set your computer's cooling fan to "Auto." Next, slide the Processing Speed scale to "3-4." Slide the Cooling Method scale to the middle of the range. These settings will slow down the CPU when needed

Also, Hit Win Key + R
Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter.
Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1
Restart the computer

Also, try the steps recommended below.

1. Right-click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
2. Click Hardware and Sound.
3. Select Power Options.
4. Find Processor power management and open the menu for Minimum processor state.
5. Change the setting for on battery to 100%.
6. Change the setting for plugged into 100%.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, please try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot lock up or freezing issues with PC. Link: https://hp.care/2yCytKC

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response

So i think i didnt explain my problem correctly

my general cpu usage is not high , But when i use my GPU (GTX 1050) the frequency of cpu drops , sometimes to 2.3 some times to 2.6 .cpu is fine under heavy loads and performs nicely,it only happens when i use my gpu + cpu (gaming for example).

i checked for thermal issues but that is not the case , problem is "Current Limit Throttle".

my serial number is : 5cd7288nqh

HP Recommended

@hessam_7800gtx, Thanks for your quick response and time again.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us again.

As you mentioned the FPS drops on your PC while playing games. 

Try the steps recommended below.

I think your power plan is set to Balanced or Power Saver. Go to Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Power Options, click on show additional power plans and select High Performance. It should stay at 4.5 frequency all the time with that setting.

Also reduce the hardware acceleration and check with the issue.

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.

b. In Large Icons View, click on Display and click on Change Display Settings, in the left pane.

c. Click on Advanced Settings.

In the Advanced Settings window, if Troubleshooting tab is present, then the graphics card supports hardware acceleration.

d.Click on the Troubleshooting tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to Full.

e. Click on OK and restart the computer to save the settings.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for response

unfortunately my laptop doesnt have hardware accerelation like you mentioned ,so i changed it with nvidia control panel

and it didnt help .

power plan is set to high  performance 

could it be a bios problem?

HP Recommended

@hessam_7800gtx, thanks for your quick response and time again.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned after trying out the steps the issue still persists.

Did you try updating BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC?

Try updating the display drivers, BIOS and Chipset drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below.

1. In the Search box, type Device Manager, then click on the result.
  2. Look for the Display adapters option, then click on the arrow to expand the option.
  3. Right-click on the Display driver, then click on Properties.
  4. Under the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver.
  5. Click OK, then check the result.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Open "NVIDIA Control Panel" > "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings" > "Global Settings"

a. Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
b. Vertical sync- Off
c. Threaded optimization - off
d. Triple buffering - off
Please set to these settings and click on apply. 

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your time

I have updated drivers and bios and chipset already is to the last version.

i belive this problem first happened when hp assistant suggested a bios update and i did it.

hardwares are fine according to diagnostics  so it should be a softare issue.

HP Recommended

@hessam_7800gtx, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned even after updating BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC the issue still persists.

I would suggest try performing a windows update on your PC and check if helps it helps.

If the issue still persists after updating the windows, I suggest you try performing a push button reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a push button reset on your PC. Link: https://hp.care/2GLz9B5

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for your answer 

i cant hard reset my  device atm but ill post the result here as soon as i can do it 

thank you again

HP Recommended

@hessam_7800gtx

Thank you for replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.