Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm having some issues with my webcam for a while now each time I'm on Skype talking to friends. I can see them and the light of the camera is running, they can hear me but they can't see me and I see on top of the screen the message "your webcam is used by another application. I checked "Device Manager" and properties on my webcam and saw the message "Device USB\VID_0C45&PID_651B&MI_00\6&803188a&0&0000 requires further installation". I also found under "Other devices - Unknown device" and in properties  "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver." I have no clue what is going on...

I hope somebody can help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Serge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@FrenchyfromPA,

Thanks for the update,

As I see you have run the test and it passed, this looks like a software issue, In this scenario, I would suggest you could try to create a new User account and check if that helps.

Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC:  Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@FrenchyfromPA,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the webcam not working properly on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to uninstall the drivers from device manager?

Did you check if the webcam works in different apps like skype or the original webcam app?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please check in device manager if there is a listing for the webcam under Imaging devices or unknown devices.

Right click on start button>left click on device manager in the list>expand Imaging devices and check if there is a webcam listing.

If there is uninstall it and restart the computer and check if the driver gets installed correctly. Then try to use the Webcam.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - Webcam is not Working (Windows 10, 😎

Alternatively, you can also go through this support link: HP Notebook PCs - Testing a Webcam Using YouCam (Windows 10, 8, 7)

If that does not help, I would suggest you uninstall the software completely and reinstall the software. 

The Cyberlink YouCam Software should be installed.

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC from our HP support website, using this link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87501-88000/sp87665.exe

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did some changes on my laptop a few days ago and used Recovery Manager to restore at an earlier date, I thought it might fix these problems with my webcam but it did not... When I log in directly to Cyberlink Youcam6, a message pop up "Youcam alert warning : Youcam found a new webcam (HP webcam) do you want to begin using it?" If I click "no!" the message will appear again and when I click "yes" then I can see myself on the screen.

You wrote "Right click on start button>left click on device manager in the list>expand Imaging devices and check if there is a webcam listing.If there is uninstall it and restart the computer and check if the driver gets installed correctly. Then try to use the Webcam."  I don't see "imaging devices" in the list only "cameras" and "other devices - Unknow device".

I'm going to have a look at all your other suggestions and try some testing.

Serge

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS and now when I go on Cyberlink YouCam another message pop up "You cannot connect to your webcan, try selecting another capture device within settings or close any applications that may be using this webcam and then restart Youcam"

HP Recommended

@FrenchyfromPA,

Thanks for the update,

I really appreciate your time and efforts,

As I see you have already performed the steps suggested and still having the issue. This looks like a possible hardware failure.

I would recommend you run a test on the webcam from F2 hardware diagnostics(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: 

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your reply and information. I did earlier a system fast test with F2 diagnostic and it passed. I wanted to do an extensive test but it says that it will take 5 hours to complete and I don't have time right now so I will do it later today. Before I close that thread I had as one last question. On device manager I see the webcam listed but what is that unknow device under other device? is that also the webcam? I don't get it... What if I click on install device on unknow device?

Serge

HP Recommended

Hi,

I finished the extensive system test and everything passed, unless you were talking about another type of test... I'll wait to hear from you before closing this thread tomorrow morning.

Serge

HP Recommended

@FrenchyfromPA,

Thanks for the update,

As I see you have run the test and it passed, this looks like a software issue, In this scenario, I would suggest you could try to create a new User account and check if that helps.

Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC:  Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Well I played around a little bit and I don't know what I did but not it seems to be working again and I don't have those messages popping out when I open YouCam. I didn't get an opportunity to use Skype yet but hopefully it will work also. If it doesn't work I will try to create another account as you suggested. Thanks again for your help I really appreciated. I will close this thread now.

Serge

HP Recommended

@FrenchyfromPA

You're most welcome. 

Glad to know that you found the solution. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.