Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
DB0011DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I interested in upgrading my RAM and my processor. Am I able to upgrade this model to an i5 processor (which I have in a broken laptop) and two 8g sticks of 2400mhz RAM. I've seen posts on here that it only takes one stick at 8g but there are definitely 2 slots inside this machine. I'm hoping I can use this old processor and be able to upgrade the RAM @ the same **bleep** time. Please help....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @loveghost77!

As an old musician myself (50's Rock N' Roll), I understand the need to download music.  I will do what I can to help you.

Q:  So, if the extra slot accepts the stick does that mean both slots are operable and I can upgrade it to 16 total or is the processor just not able to handle that much?  This is a question that I can't answer with any assurance that it will work.  When Crucial Memory states that it only has one slot I hesitate to tell you that you can upgrade beyond 8GB.  The choice is up to you!  I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if they can tell you if they know why their information doesn't match what you know is reality -- there are two slots.

Q:  Basically, this thing is lagging during vital programs and is super slow at loading internet and downloading music I need.  This is a combination of the wifi adapter and your Internet speed.  What is the speed of your Internet Service?  You can upgrade to a dual band (2.4 GHz/5.0 GHz) wifi adapter.  Here is the HP part # 924813-855 (Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac 2 × 2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) for their AC adapter.  The AC means that it has 5.0 GHz capability.

You can go to your local BestBuy to see if they have the wifi adapter.  They sell HP computers.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06245081

Page 17, 18

Processor is soldered in to the motherboard and is not a replaceable or upgradeable component.

Your laptop came with AMD A6 processor with integrated graphics,

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05997528

Page 2

According to your model series Manual, your specific notebook model supports upto 8gb memory stick in one slot.

HP Recommended

@loveghost77 , welcome to the forum.

As @visruth  stated, the maximum memory is 8GB.  Here is the information from Crucial Memory, as well.  It is their business to know what will work in different manufacturer's computers and they state Slots 1 (1 bank of 1).

HP Recommended

I have opened this model up already and there is definitely 2 slots for RAM. Is the one just a dummy slot?

HP Recommended

So, is it possible to run 2 8g sticks?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @loveghost77!

I honestly don't know what to tell you!  I guess you can take the existing memory stick and put it into the second slot to see if it works.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it! So, if the extra slot accepts the stick does that mean both slots are operable and I can upgrade it to 16 total or is the processor just not able to handle that much? These are questions that I am just not suited to figure out with my limited knowledge. Basically, this thing is lagging during vital programs and is super slow at loading internet and downloading music I need. I am a new music producer and I really don't have the money for another laptop ATM but might have to if I can not get this thing running the way I need it to....

HP Recommended

As an old musician myself (50's Rock N' Roll), I understand the need to download music.  I will do what I can to help you.

Q:  So, if the extra slot accepts the stick does that mean both slots are operable and I can upgrade it to 16 total or is the processor just not able to handle that much?  This is a question that I can't answer with any assurance that it will work.  When Crucial Memory states that it only has one slot I hesitate to tell you that you can upgrade beyond 8GB.  The choice is up to you!  I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if they can tell you if they know why their information doesn't match what you know is reality -- there are two slots.

Q:  Basically, this thing is lagging during vital programs and is super slow at loading internet and downloading music I need.  This is a combination of the wifi adapter and your Internet speed.  What is the speed of your Internet Service?  You can upgrade to a dual band (2.4 GHz/5.0 GHz) wifi adapter.  Here is the HP part # 924813-855 (Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac 2 × 2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) for their AC adapter.  The AC means that it has 5.0 GHz capability.

You can go to your local BestBuy to see if they have the wifi adapter.  They sell HP computers.

HP Recommended

Hey, again, old_Geekster! Thank you for all the info so far! Is there anything else that might be able to get this thing running any faster? I will call Crucial tomorrow to see what they recommend to do as well. I will find out about the wifi card and see what they say about the RAM, also if they know of an upgrade that will get this running faster.

HP Recommended

There is one additional upgrade that will make a major difference -- add a SSD.  This will definitely increase system performance a lot.  Here are the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory.  They list several M.2 SSD's.  I highly suggest the 1 TB drive.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.  The difference is amazing.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.