Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-df1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a service manual for this laptop?  Also, is the memory soldered on?  I know the memory is considered customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable but I don't know if that means it is soldered on or just difficult to access.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nick_steblay 

You have to use manual for the whole series (from df0000aa to df0999zz)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422405.pdf

No RAM is not soldered on, you can replace RAM and yes it has Two SODIMM slots, customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable which simply means  this work is for HP authorized service providers only.

You can replace yourself at your own risk.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@nick_steblay 

You have to use manual for the whole series (from df0000aa to df0999zz)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422405.pdf

No RAM is not soldered on, you can replace RAM and yes it has Two SODIMM slots, customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable which simply means  this work is for HP authorized service providers only.

You can replace yourself at your own risk.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  The manual you reference shows the 8th Gen Intel chips.  The laptop I bought has the 10th Gen Intel chip.  Does this manual still apply?

HP Recommended

I have the same model and had the same question. 

HP Recommended

I confirmed that the RAM is not soldered.  I just upgraded to 32GB.  

HP Recommended

I got Spectre x360 model 15t-df100, Product ID 5ZV29AV for business use, it came with 16 Gb,

Not a bad machine, I like it.

I  run on it SolidWorks and FEA. Sometimes when model is large it complains  about low memory,
so I decided to check and open it to see if I can upgrade.

Unfortunately, memory is soldered there, no SIMM slots...

HP Recommended

@Igor_Kord

I have gone through your Post and as per the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422405 the Notebook's RAM cannot be upgraded since the Ram slots are non customer accessible parts

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I successfully upgraded my 15-DF1033DX as the RAM is upgradeable per the repair manual and the RAM is not soldered.  It appears the 15t-df100 has soldered RAM.  The referenced manual is incorrect for the 15t-df100.  Not sure why HP references  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422405 for 15t-df100. 

The phrase "not customer accessible" is HP saying that only certified technicians are authorized to repair the laptop.  I'm assuming that the repair manuals are intended only for those doing the authorized repairs.  The repair manuals should accurately represent the design and repair steps needed.  An owner of an HP laptop can choose to repair or upgrade their laptops themselves but must accept the consequences and risks of invalidating the warranty and potentially damaging the laptop.  

For me, the repair manual was accurate for the 15-1033DX and the upgrade was a simple, low-risk process.  I was able to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM for a fraction of the price.  I've owned multiple HP Spectres and have never needed warranty work, so invalidating the warranty is a risk I'll accept.  

I actually love the fact that HP published the appropriate repair manual for the 15-1033DX, and that they designed a high quality and performant laptop that is easy to repair.  These are the reasons I  bought the laptop.

HP Recommended

Very true about not being customer accessible, but I’m not gonna do the upgrade I’m gonna get hp to do it or someone they recommend.
it’s only 3weeks old and they have it now fixing a issue. I figured while they have it might as well upgrade it so it can do what my daughter needs it to do.. 

HP Recommended

I just bought the same spectre df1033dx with 10th gen i7 and was hoping you could point out which RAM you purchased to upgrade to the 32gb:

https://www.crucial.com/catalog/memory/ddr4

I'm unsure of which one will work and since you got it to work, I thought it'd be easier to simply ask you.

Thanks - Michael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.