Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name: HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC

Product number: G6R09UA#ABA

BIOS: F.10-06/09/2014

Issue: The DVD-ROM drive is no longer recognized. It does not open when the button is pressed or in any way through software. It can be opened manually by inserting a paper clip into the manual eject hole, but does not recognize a disk placed in and has to be manually opened again to retrieve the disk. The DVD drive no longer appears in Device Manager, including when the list is refreshed. In short, the computer no longer recognizes the drive. Restarting the computer repeatedly has not solved the problem.

The DVD drive functioned perfectly normally until yesterday; it has been a few weeks since it was last used, and it had no problems at the time. I am using the same OS (Windows 10) as at that time, and I know of no other major software changes in my system since that time.

The DVD drive is the one that came installed with the laptop; since it’s not detected, I cannot determine model, serial number, etc., of the drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unless you absolutely have to run DVDs while traveling on a plane or something, then yes an external drive would be the easiest/cheapest way to go. :Wink:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @drocon

Your bios is quite outdated and it would be a good idea to go ahead and update it.

F.45 Rev.A  sp79605.exe

I would go to the Device Manager and go to View and enable Show Hidden Devices.

Then remove and reinstall the IDE/ATAPI drivers.

1. From Start, search for Device Manager. Open Device Manager from the search results, and select the View menu. Choose Show Hidden Devices.
  2. Expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers, and then:
    • Select and right-click ATA Channel 0, and then click Uninstall
    • Select and right-click ATA Channel 1, and then click Uninstall
    • Select and right-click Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, and then click Uninstall
    • If there are additional entries, right-click them and then choose Uninstall
  3. Reboot the device.

After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

--------------------------------------------------

If that did not work, the Windows registry entries that have become corrupted.

Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  4. In the right pane, select UpperFilters.
    Note:  You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
  5. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
  7. In the right pane, select LowerFilters.
    Note:  If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, skip this fix and go to UEFI Diagnostics below.
  8. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

If it doesnt work, the drive might be failing.

-----------------------------------------------------

You can run the UEFI Diagnostics tool to test for hardware failures.

You will want the latest version installed first. Version 6.5.0.0

After that, restart the PC but rapidly tap F2 for Diagnostics.

Navigate to Component Tests/ Optical drive and run it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

If the diagnostics finds the drive has an error, or the drive still will not be recognized, It might need to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. None of those solutions worked, and UEFI was unable to detect an optical drive. It appears to be a hardware problem, then. Where might I find a replacement drive?

HP Recommended

According to the manual, you have 4 possible choices. I have no way of knowing which you have but I assume its the first one.

Optical drive, DVD+/-RW DL Super Multi (includes optical drive hardware kit with optical drive bezel and bracket): 762503-001

Blu-ray Disc R/RW with SuperMulti for AMD models only 778266-001

Aqua blue finish 765793-001

Natural silver finish 763426-001

Looking up the part from HP directly is not an option, the price is way to much.

I did find some on the net for the USA.

Amazon has a new one here ...Link

You can also find used ones on eBay cheaper (buy at your own risk).

Here is the manual for the instructions...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04402649

Hope it helps. Good luck. 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help. Looking at the prices, it probably makes more sense for me to simply buy an external USB DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Unless you absolutely have to run DVDs while traveling on a plane or something, then yes an external drive would be the easiest/cheapest way to go. :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.