Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community! Wish I was here under better circumstances.

So I'm having a strange issue with my fn key. Action keys work just fine. I have action keys set and they work as expected (pressing F6 muntes/unmutes for example). My problem is fn + ESC-F12 doesn't work at all when I want to use function keys (action keys are still actuated). I can invert them via BIOS and then the function keys work but I lose access to action keys when trying to use them via fn + ESC-F12. So clearly my fn key is the problem.

It's possible the key is dead hardware-wise, but I'm highly skeptical of that since it's the ONLY one that doesn't work (I hardly use it since I mainly use the action keys for volume and such). I believe it is some sort of driver/software issue and have been combing the internet for a solution. If I don't find one here then I'm calling support lol. If anyone could point me to right driver or program to get it working I'd be so grateful!

The keyboard driver I have installed now is "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard for HP Hotkey Support" version 7.0.13.1

Windows PS/2 keyboard driver didn't give me any better results. HP driver page for my laptop didn't give me anything in regards to a solution. I also tried "Re-install HP Hotkey Support after RS5 upgrade" for Windows 10 issues. No effect.

I wish I could tell you when I started having this issue but like I said I never use the F1-F12 keys as function keys. I discovered it last night trying to take a screenshot in Steam using F12. Pressing fn + F12 SHOULD have taken a screenshot but instead actuated the action key turning on airplane mode.

If I can give any more info to help solve my problem just say the word!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ss3teddy Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that hotkeys are not working. 

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Here’s the step by step guide for you: 

  

1. Click the Start button, then click Run.   

2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.   

3. Press the ENTER key.   

4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.   

5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.   

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by Clicking here  

If the above doesn't help, please create another User account as suggested earlier and try again. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the response! I was in the middle of a move and wasn't able to try your solution right away.

Turns out it didn't work. Not sure when the startup tab of msconfig redirected to Task Manager's startup tab but HKServ doesn't appear there for me to enable or disable even after installing the package you linked to.

I also tried creating another user account but that didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@ss3teddy,

When you press FN and the function keys is it working?

Please refer to the below article for more information on enabling and disabling the FN keys.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02035108

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.