Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 13-ay0285ng

My problem:

- I would like to use S3 state deep sleep instead of the "modern standby" currently available.

- "Modern standby" drains the battery a lot more than classic S3 sleep, this is why I want to use the latter.

- According to the ACPI table the S3 is disabled in the firmware (BIOS), which is understandable as this and the "modern standby" are mutually exclusive.

- In other notebooks there is a switch for this in the BIOS, to switch between S3 and modern standby, but here there is nothing.

- I am on the latest F.15 BIOS.

- As I understand it, the option is probably available in the bios but it is hidden by HP so that the end users can not switch.

Is there any chance that I can still activate and use proper S3 sleep instead of the "modern standby"?

Thank you very much in advance,

Daniel

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

"Hidden" BIOS on a consumer laptop are an urban myth. It is what it is. Microsoft has strongly encouraged manufacturers to use its preferred "standby" as sleep since Windows 10 as full hibernation and deep sleep is hard to write drivers that will work right to bring the computer back to full operation after resuming from sleep. 

HP Recommended

Even though this "urban myth" works on many laptops with key combos (of course it is totally possible that the bios in this particular model is totally crippled and does not have anything like this), it is not what I'm here to ask about.

Is there any way to ask HP to support S3 sleep in a next BIOS version? They seem to totally inaccessible.

Other notebooks and other manufacturers have the "Windows modern standby" / "S3" switch in the BIOS and it would be very obvious to implement it to help the users take advantage of a proper sleep function. Having a windows driver does not matter to me.

HP Recommended

I am well aware that some laptops have a hidden advanced BIOS. Just not HP and also the same for others which specialize in high volume less expensive computers. HP just does not accept requests for things like BIOS upgrades. I do not work for HP but have been here answering questions almost 20 years and they have never done that in my experience. Its drivers for things like video and audio that sometimes will not resume proper operation after a resume from sleep unless the Code is written very well. Technical challenge that Microsoft and some OEMs want to avoid. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.