Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13-an0010ca 8th Gen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My son took a USB-C PD charger that belonged to my wife's Thinkpad and plugged it into the USB C port on her HP Pavilion 13-an0010ca (8th gen, bought in Jan 2019.) Since then, I cannot get it to power up.

Is there anything worth trying or should I get a quote from an HP service center?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your laptop's USB-C port has Power Delivery capability which means it should accept a USB-C power supply and is designed for 45w. I also have both an HP and Lenovo laptop each having a 45w USB-C adapter and I have used them interchangeably in a pinch. So do not blame your son necessarily. Why the need to use the Lenovo power supply? A hard reset might be worth trying. If the motherboard is fried the repair bill is going to be very high as I am sure you expect. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Your laptop's USB-C port has Power Delivery capability which means it should accept a USB-C power supply and is designed for 45w. I also have both an HP and Lenovo laptop each having a 45w USB-C adapter and I have used them interchangeably in a pinch. So do not blame your son necessarily. Why the need to use the Lenovo power supply? A hard reset might be worth trying. If the motherboard is fried the repair bill is going to be very high as I am sure you expect. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, Huffer. 

How exactly do I do a hard reset?

My curious 9-year old is the one that plugged the Thinkpad's charger into the USB C port...

HP Recommended

HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop​ | HP® Customer Support

This is a longshot but easy and free so worth trying.

HP Recommended

Well, this is embarrassing.

In my pursuit to isolate the problem, I plugged in the normal pin AC adapter and well, everything worked again. The only peculiar thing was that the battery was almost at zero (something we rarely let happen.)

It's been 2 days now and for the most part, the battery has been charging and depleting normally.

Hopefully the scare will have some lasting precautionary effect!

Thanks again for the quick response!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear. You might consider accepting as solution as your title is something that might come up in a lot of searches and marking as solution bumps it up higher in search engines. 

HP Recommended

I missed your line about not blaming my son necessarily. Very nice of you to mention that 😇

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.