Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-AX000NL
Linux

Hello, I have an HP OMEN 15-AX000NL laptop with the nVidia 965M graphics chip that supports the optimus technology. This in linux is just a big pain to handle. While bumblebee has an excelent support for the optimus technology, I find I'm not using it that much and it isn't easy to configure on every distro. I have multiple linux distributions installed for testing purposes and I would like to completely disable the nVidia card from the BIOS (and enable it only when needed in windows) in order to save battery and ignore the bumblebee configuration everytime I install a new system. Most laptops with the Omen technology have this option in the BIOS: mine doesn't. Is there any modified BIOS I can install that has that option or are there some BIOS advanced menus I can access I'm not aware of?

Thank you for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I would also suggest you take a look into forums for the Linux distros you are using, you may find other methods to disable the Nvidia card that is safer than changing or modifying the BIOS.

Also, if you are satisfied with the solution, you can click on 'Accepted Solution' and help out others with the same question.

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Vincintosh, Thank for posting at HP Forum.

According to the information you provided, if there is no option for disabling the Nvidia Card from the BIOS, chances are the Omen you have is a mux-less system and the Nvidia card has no direct access to the display. In such cases, options like Bumblebee or Nvidia Prime can be used in Linux distros.

As far as I could see, the option to change the card in BIOS is more of a hardware feature, so I believe there would be no modified BIOS as such that can be used, atleast from HP's end. Also, changing BIOS to unstable ones can seriously affect the computer.

Hope this helped. Cheers!

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended
Yes this helped: at least I know better how my machine is made and I can stop searching for a solution and just accept it as it is. Thanks
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I would also suggest you take a look into forums for the Linux distros you are using, you may find other methods to disable the Nvidia card that is safer than changing or modifying the BIOS.

Also, if you are satisfied with the solution, you can click on 'Accepted Solution' and help out others with the same question.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended
Thank you. I'm aware of the possibilities offered by linux. Manjaro is my main OS at the moment and it handles optimus very well. I was just wondering if I could disable it so that i don't have to deal with any configuration when I install sme new distro temporarly.
HP Recommended
Sorry I'm on my phone and I misclicked "Accept as solution" to my post instead of yours. How do i change the solution?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.