Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0064st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. Until an update earlier this month (December), I had been able (eventually) to disable the touchpad on my Pavilion 15, using instead a mouse. Despite my hardest efforts (including trying to restore an earlier driver), I have not been able to figure out how to disable it again, resulting often in unexpected and unpredictable functions taking place, including wiping out everything that I had been typing. The system info indicates that I have an Elan touchpad, not Symantec. Unfortunately, the settings on Touchpad sensitivity do not include OFF. Just Low sensitivity -- Medium sensitivity -- High Sensitivity -- Most sensitivity.

HELP.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EdfromBoston

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to disable the touchpad on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Open up Windows Settings by clicking the “Start” button, then clicking on the cog wheel. You can also hit Windows+I. Next, click the “Devices” option. On the Devices page, switch to the “Touchpad” category on the left and then disable the “Leave Touchpad On When Mouse is Connected” option.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, The_Faucette.

Unfortunately, that was not applicable to my Elan touchpad, for which the option "Disable touchpad" was itself disabled.   But I --definitely-- appreciate your willingness to help.

HOWEVER,  my nephew, who has a Master's in Computer Science, was able to help me with a solution suggested by @Riddle_Decipher to someone on a different thread, 

which is now closed.

=====================

If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side:

1. Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse key in the left pane.
  2. Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.

After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad.

--------

So my thanks and appreciation to both of you!  And can I suggest that HP consider NOT disabling the "Disable touchpad" option and/or including "Disable touchpad" as an option under Touchpad sensitivity?

A good New Year to both of you!!

HP Recommended

@EdfromBoston

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Happy Holidays!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.