Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 17-cd1007na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to drive a 1440p@165hz external monitor.

Looking at the spec page of my device ("HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 17-cd1007na") It says it has both a HDMI 2.0 port and "1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)".

If I'm not mistaken HDMI 2.0 will drive a maximum of 1440p@144hz, however DP 1.4 will drive more than my use case.

Does my device support DP alt-mode (even though it does not support thunderbolt, some older forum topics said the device must support thunderbolt. whereas newer ones do not), and if so will it allow me to run a 1440p@165hz external display.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mathusela 

In your case, it has DP 1.4 specs.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mathusela 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06672974

Yes, it USB-C supports Alt mode DisplayPort™ 1.4  and also  USB Power Delivery. You can connect compatible USB-C monitor to it or using USB-C DP connection.

As you know, refresh rate goes up, resolution will go down. From my tests HDMI 2.0 gives 4K monitors 60Hz and FHD monitors 120Hz, very hard to get 144Hz.

Regards

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Thanks for the reply,

Does DP over USB-C operate at usual DP speeds or is it limited by USB-C bandwidth?

i.e.  the USB-C port has a max bandwidth of 10Gbps whereas DP 1.4 has a bandwidth of 32.4Gbps.

HP Recommended

@Mathusela 

In your case, it has DP 1.4 specs.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.