Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-au111tx (Y4F74PA#ACJ)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My product number is Y4F74PA#ACJ. I purchased this laptop in Jan 2017. 

Here is the link to the product specifications.

I was wondering if there's a way to add an SSD to it - I don't want to remove the HDD. I'm okay with removing the optical disk drive, and adding a caddy if it's possible.

I'd like to know the steps and versions of the compatible SSD (i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to hardware). I'd like atleast 250gb of storage. [EDIT: Asking on this forum as the (albeit old) Amazon page of the laptop had a response from a random person saying an SSD cannot be added]

(I also have a couple of queries regarding a minor swelling around the keyboard and if an external 144hz monitor would support the laptop)

Do let me know.

Thank you

Vas

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@iiVas 

1. You can add M.2 SATA SSD to your machine using Samsung 960EVO or Crucial MX500 ... M.2 SSD. For example

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd4/ct11456436

2. It only has HDMI v1.4 supporting: up to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

1. Is there an existing empty slot for it or do I have to replace something? I want this to be along with my HDD. Apologies if it's a newbie question.

2. Does that mean there's no way I can run a game at 144hz on a 144hz monitor? Additional cables perhaps?

Thank you!

Vas

HP Recommended

@iiVas 

1. I dis say add above that means you can simply add.

2. No, cable alone won't work. You may be ale to use USB 3.0 to HDMI 2.0 adapter., for example

https://plugable.com/products/usb3-6950-hdmi/

But you have to run at lower resolution.

Note: In theory it should work but I have NOT tested it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Cool, thank you!

Will try it out and see how it goes!

HP Recommended

Screenshot_20200527-211837_Gallery.jpg

Here is the picture of the underside of the laptop. The black slot right next to the swollen battery is where the optical drive was connected. 

Can you please point out where I can connect the above linked Crucial M.2 SSD(yet to purchase)? You said I don't have to remove anything, just add the SSD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.