Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 779456-001 DVD/CD REWRITEABLE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The DVD drive that came with the laptop quit working. So I purchased another one from Amazon. It slows the computer way down and seems to never detect when a blank disc is in it. 

My Laptop model is HP 15-f387wm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@txscorpio If you've followed all the steps suggested in the link I shared earlier and yet the same issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@txscorpio Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support and we appreciate your patience.

That said, Is the replacement drive you got from Amazon, and HP DVD drive? If not, I suggest you contact the manufacturer of that drive for support and get a replacement if that's an option, also, if it's an HP product, click here to troubleshoot the same.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, it's the same drive. The system installs it, and sees it, but it doesn't see any disc I put in it. It pops up telling me to please insert a disc. Also, i have to use the manual eject hole to open it. only once did it open by pushing the button.

I can hear it working, and it slows my system down so much, that I have to manually eject it for the system to run right.

I have used the HP Diagnostic tool, but it's not able to read or write a disc

HP Recommended

@txscorpio Thanks for the details, to confirm, is the issue limited to blank discs alone or does it have the same response to any disc you insert into the drive? And did you go through the steps listed in the link I shared earlier? if yes, please tell me exactly what you did and what were the results of those steps, so we could troubleshoot accordingly.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's with all  discs. DVD's and CD's, both blank and with data. I tried about 20 to 25 different discs. Even after downloading and installing the windows 10 DVD player, it would keep asking me to put a disc in. I used the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and it saw the drive, but never a disc.

And adjusted the autoplayAnd adjusted the autoplayDevice Manager ses itDevice Manager ses itSays it's working properlySays it's working properlySo I uninstalled itSo I uninstalled it

HP Recommended

@txscorpio If you've followed all the steps suggested in the link I shared earlier and yet the same issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.