Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 p010ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. 

I have had this computer for about 4-5 years now. I have started to notice something wrong when playing games, which is any game that seems to use a relatively new version of DirectX doesn't seem to work. After some digging I found out that my computer has 2 graphics cards and that the Dedicated card (Radeon R7 M260) was not being used point blank. No matter what game, the system seems to be relying on the integrated card (Radeon 8610g) which cannot do all the heavy lifting by itself. 

After trying to install the latest driver from HP and AMD (none working) I am now stuck and have nothing to do. I have seen many different threads with my computer with my same issue. None of them found an answer. I was wondering if I can change the primary graphics card in my PC so that the system mostly relies on the dedicated card, but apparently HP has locked the option to change the primary card. I really don't know what to do, this is making me lose faith in my HP PC. 

Specs:

Processor: AMD A10 APU 5745m Quad core. 

Integrated GPU: AMD Radeon 8610g

Dedicated GPU AMD Radeon R7 M260

RAM:8GB

Windows 10 

64-bit. Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DellIsBetter The dedicated GPU is sytem managed and cannot be changed manually, there are a few tweaks that could be made using the steps in this link: click here to explore, that said, if you've confirmed that one of the two GPU's isn't working, you may want to perform a hardware test to identify hardware malfunction and we could work on repairing or replacing the GPU that no longer works:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.
    • If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for replying. 

I have already done an extensive test and it came up negative. No problems were found. 

I have also read that my cpu (amd 10 5745m) doesn't support dual graphics. Which is why he dedicated card isn't doing anything. Don't know why you guys would sell a computer with dual graphics if it doesn't support it, but if this isn't true, then what do I do. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DellIsBetter As suggested earlier, there are a few tweaks that can be made using the details mentioned here & to answer your question, that isn't true, we wouldn't put switchable/dual graphics if its not supported!

Please check the link and let me know if that works.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah I already have CCC installed. But the problem with it is that if I set and app to high performance, it doesn't run. Doing more digging I found out that my computer thinks that the Radeon 8610G integrated card is the high performance and power saving GPU. 

There is no option in bios to change to fixed graphics, had my PC wasn't mentioned on the list for a BIOS update. 

What else can I try?

HP Recommended

@DellIsBetter Considering the hardware tests have passed, this isn't a hardware malfunction, could be an issue with the windows, I suggest creating a new user account and check if that works fine, if not you may need to reinstall or reset windows using the steps mentioned in this link: click here for the details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for your quick reply. 

I have already reset my PC recently and have put a new user as well. None of that worked.

I am flowing with the idea that my system just thinks that the integrated card is the power saving and high performance card while ignoring the dedicated card. Or that could be wrong. 

Any other options?

HP Recommended

@DellIsBetter I'm afraid we've reached the end of the line, and for further assistance regarding this issue I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.