Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc610ms
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, I have a hp pavilion 15-cc610ms laptop. I want to know if I can use this dual Storage Configuration

1TB HDD (that came with the laptop)+500 GB SATA M.2 SSD (that I purchased). The manual doesn't list this dual Storage Configuration but want to check if the laptop would take it. Please advise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.

I cannot give you a 100% ironclad guarantee that it will work, but I see no reason why a 500 GB - 2 TB M.2 SATA SSD would not work along with a 1 TB or 2 TB 2.5" drive.

HP probably figured that offering 1 TB or 2 TB 2.5" drives along with a M.2 SSD up to 256 GB was all most folks would need or want.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Mugunthan16 

It has dual storage, see Maintenance and Service Guide

Page 2 Chapter 1 Product description

ub6424_0-1658589862968.png

HP Recommended

Thanks. I know it takes dual Storage but my question is can I combine 1TB HDD with a 500 GB SSD? This combination is not listed in the manual but I want to know if the system will take this combination. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @Mugunthan16 

The manual is incorrect about one thing...NVMe SSD's are not supported in the 15-cc600 model series.

NVMe SSD's are only supported in the 15-cc1xx model series.

Only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, so you should be fine with a SATA M.2 SSD.

Don't change your mind based on the info in the manual and buy a NVMe SSD instead.

There is one other thing you should be aware of.

When notebooks come configured with dual storage, there is no operating system on the 2.5" hard drive.

When you have an operating system on the hard drive and you have an operating system on the M.2 SATA SSD, it often confuses the notebook's Windows boot manager, and it will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the SSD.

If you run into that issue the easiest thing to do is to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive so that the boot manager switches to the M.2 SSD and boots from that.

After you test that the notebook boots and runs fine from the SSD, you can reconnect the2.5" drive.

I do recommend that after you have things set up the way you want, that you format the 2.5" drive and use it for storage only.

The drive capacities listed in the manual are what HP offered in the model series and are not usually the maximum capacity supported.

HP Recommended

The service manual did not tell the truth... 😥
The old hand @Paul_Tikkanen  has again reached into deep knowledge box, thank you very much !

HP Recommended

Thank you! The laptop manual lists the dual Storage Configurations right? I don't see the configuration of 1TB HDD + 500 GB SSD listed. Can I use a a 500 GB SSD with a 1TB HDD? That is what I am trying to understand. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As I wrote above, the drive capacities listed in the manual are what HP offered in the model series and are not usually the maximum capacity supported.

I don't see any reason why a 500 GB SATA M.2 SSD would not work.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks. So, I can have a 500 GB SSD along with 1TB HDD at the same time right? Just want to make sure you are not taking about using 500 GB SSD as a standalone storage.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.

I cannot give you a 100% ironclad guarantee that it will work, but I see no reason why a 500 GB - 2 TB M.2 SATA SSD would not work along with a 1 TB or 2 TB 2.5" drive.

HP probably figured that offering 1 TB or 2 TB 2.5" drives along with a M.2 SSD up to 256 GB was all most folks would need or want.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. I will give it a try and post here. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.