2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ENVY 17-n005ur adding SSD drive as primary

ENVY 17-n005ur

Hello guys,

I'm trying to figure out, is it possible to add SSD drive to my laptop. It has 1 TB HDD drive at the moment and I want it to serve as secondary one, booting from SSD drive.

Looking at laptop's motherboard I see that it has an M.2 2280 slot. Looks like "M" type with 5 pins. The motherboard is ABW70 LA-C531P.

I spent more than an hour googling for a motherboard specification for my laptop without any success. Most probably I'm getting too old 🙂

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Could you please give me a link to motherboard specification to check for compatible SSD type?

2) If I add SSD drive as primary without removing an existing HDD - will they work together normally?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
13,519 12,928 1,691 4,390
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04696907

Specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/7771351/model/8429310/document/c04...

Manual is the max we could provide you with. No mobo diagrams available separately.

M.2 SATA-3 SSD (TLC) slot is available and can be upgraded to.

Remove HDD, then insert at least 256gb M.2 2280 SSD, use recovery media to install OS to it (otherwise you could clone HDD to SSD using Macrium Reflect Free software). Change boot order from BIOS. Insert HDD. Boot the machine. Now HDD acts as storage only. Whole procedure needs major disassembly.

Happy Christmas 🙂

Regards

Visruth

I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
di5temper Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Visruth,

thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
13,519 12,928 1,691 4,390
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're most welcome!

I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation