2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

ENVY 17-n005ur adding SSD drive as primary

HP Recommended
ENVY 17-n005ur

Hello guys,

I'm trying to figure out, is it possible to add SSD drive to my laptop. It has 1 TB HDD drive at the moment and I want it to serve as secondary one, booting from SSD drive.

Looking at laptop's motherboard I see that it has an M.2 2280 slot. Looks like "M" type with 5 pins. The motherboard is ABW70 LA-C531P.

I spent more than an hour googling for a motherboard specification for my laptop without any success. Most probably I'm getting too old 🙂

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Could you please give me a link to motherboard specification to check for compatible SSD type?

2) If I add SSD drive as primary without removing an existing HDD - will they work together normally?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
13,019 12,963 1,699 3,948
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04696907

Specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/7771351/model/8429310/document/c04...

Manual is the max we could provide you with. No mobo diagrams available separately.

M.2 SATA-3 SSD (TLC) slot is available and can be upgraded to.

Remove HDD, then insert at least 256gb M.2 2280 SSD, use recovery media to install OS to it (otherwise you could clone HDD to SSD using Macrium Reflect Free software). Change boot order from BIOS. Insert HDD. Boot the machine. Now HDD acts as storage only. Whole procedure needs major disassembly.

Happy Christmas 🙂

Regards

Visruth

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Visruth,

thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
13,019 12,963 1,699 3,948
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're most welcome!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation