Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-CS3073CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've checked everything I can find - There's no BIOS setting, nothing in Mobility Center, and the one thread that had a solution (custom drivers) is only applicable if you've got a Synaptics touchpad - Which, I don't. I've got an ELAN TouchPad, and no way that I can find to replicate the instructions for it. 

HP, listen to your users - A lot of us appreciate the battery-savings you are trying to give us with the backlight timeout, but would rather be able to customize this ourselves! Please provide a keyboard backlight timeout setting, either in BIOS or in the OS!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@PhoenixCodes Greetings from the HP Community!

I hope you know that not all keyboards have an option to use the timeout feature by design, that's only available on limited devices, that said, here's all you need to know about using the backlight of your keyboard:

Toggle backlight settings:

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I am aware that this setting is not provided. There are some solutions not endorsed by HP on the forums for devices without timeout settings in the bios, but they only apply to devices with synaptic touchpads, not elan ones.

I was hoping someone could devise a similar solution that is compatible with keyboards on computers using Elan touchpads,  or HP could add this setting... it is a very reasonable setting to include. 

And yes, I know how to turn the light on and off. That's... not at all helpful.

HP Recommended

@PhoenixCodes

Thank you for posting back. 

I'm afraid the PC does not support the feature, there's nothing that we would be able to do as this is by design.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"This is by design", seriously ? What engineer thought this up, 30 seconds then off. It is typical when engineers don't talk to users that a company loses customers. I have 5 HP computers currently, how many future HP's do you think I will buy ? I purchased this computer specifically for the backlit keyboard, there are 1000's of posts regarding this issues and your answer is ridiculous.  HP is a big company, but you must have internal methods to communicate the displeasure of your customers. This can be fixed, send out an update, BIOS, application or whatever is required to fix this.  Like I said, I currently have  5 working HP's and have used HP's for many years, please fix this, I don't want to switch to Dell. Thank you and imagine yourself working in a dark environment and having this issue it is beyond frustrating.

HP Recommended

Seriously, this issue needs to be addressed. If it's by design, then RE BLEEPING DESIGN it. It doesn't even turn on when using an external mouse, you've got to strike a key or use the touchpad (also, I'm sure, by design - because what heathen uses an external mouse without an external keyboard? Except I do. Regularly. Like, every game ever, especially since their mouse buttons suck so much for gaming.)

HP Recommended

@PhoenixCodes & @J-McMahon I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.