Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have one EliteBook 850 G3 with default 8GB DDR4 RAM ,i7, nvme SSD, on board video . Its very slow when open multiple tabs on browser, right now the task manager is saying: CPU: 50% RAM: 90% SSD: 13%. I wonder if that's caused only by RAM or also due to missing dedicated video card, I'm planning to buy extra 8GB RAM but I need to be sure that the problem will be solved. Anyone had this issue and got solved with extra 8GB RAM ? Any advice on this ?

Thank you !

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Could be a slow internet connection or even an SSD with the C: partition at greater than 75% of maximum storage capacity.

An SSD should never be at more than 75-85% of MAx capacity. 

The virtual memory file that is used by the operating system to speed up memory operation is actually a file on the SSD.

Just adding RAM will not solve the issue.

When was the last time you deleted the files in the temp folder or used the Clean up disk utility?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

SSD load is only 13%,     CPU: 50%   |   RAM: 90%    |     SSD: 13%.

Please note that I'm referring to task manager resource usage, check this one at this very moment :

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

I do not think you understood what I said.  Please read it again.

8GB is plenty. There is probably also an @ 12GB  virtual memory swap file on the hard disk.

I really don't care about task manager resource useage when your question was about something else.

Look at the network bandwidth in the task manager.  The listed .1 mbps for the firefox browser is dead slow. It is get a cup of coffee network speed.

I am more concerned about what can slow down the browser response as it is more relevant to your described issue.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

I don't see any picture(s) posted, but if FireFox crawls along try Chrome.

If there are lots of things loading, try reducing them.

Sysinternals   Autoruns.exe is an excellent way to see what is/has loaded.    autoruns

AND adding RAM is not the solution.

HP Recommended

@crossing

First thing would be to do a Disk Cleanup.

Disk Cleanup.PNG

Check everything except Delivery Optimization Files

Then do a Disk Defrag. “OPTIMIZE”

Defrag.PNG

Then go to Advanced System Settings.

Advanced Settings.PNG

In the Performance box click on SETTINGS.

Performance settings.PNG

Click on Adjust for Best Performance.

Best Performance.PNG

Click on APPLY. 

Then click on the ADVANCED tab.

In the Virtual Memory box click on CHANGE.

PerOP.PNG

Uncheck everything except Custom Size:

Vmem.JPG 

Set Initial Size (MB): to a number higher than Recommended:

Then set Maximum Size (MB): To a number higher than the Initial Size (MB)

Click SET,  OK and reboot.

REO

HP Recommended

i have 50Mbps connection. When the problem occurs everything runs slow on the laptop, every PC task is ver slow.

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

I have followed all your stepts with little effect (after reboot), laptop still runs slow.

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Another issues generated by your recommended settings is that the text is very hard to read now,  you acutally asked me to downgrade the visual settings on such a low levels, its like I have a very old laptop that is affected my eyes now due to text quality.

HP Recommended

[edited] After adding extra 8GB RAM things are running smooth.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.