Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased a brand new Elitebook 850 G1 from a certified HP dealer here in Germany. It has turned out to be a very fine machine so far.

Just one small thing I noticed is the following:

I exchanged the original 250GB SSD (A Samsung 840) that came with the Laptop for a Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SSD.

Doing so made me lose the advanced UEFI graphical UI system diagnostics. Only the basic system diagnostics are available (black and white DOS-like screen).

Apparently, the EliteBook BIOS does not "recognize" the 850 PRO as supported although the drive works absolutely fine in the laptop, running a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit without a hitch.

Is there some kind of device whitelisting in the BIOS? Is there any possibility to get the advanced system diagnostics back other than swapping back to the original SSD? Maybe some BIOS update?

I already run the latest EliteBook 850 G1 BIOS as available per HP's driver and download website.

Not that this is a critical issue since the laptop runs fine, but it's kind of bothering me nevertheless.

Thanks for answering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The advanced UEFI diagnostics is actually contained in a service partition on the hard drive so unless you cloned all partitions on the old drive you might have omitted it. Fortunately it can be downloaded and installed on the hard drive or you can even make a bootable UEFI thumb drive.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5405106&swItemId=ob_125304_1&swEnvOid=415...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The advanced UEFI diagnostics is actually contained in a service partition on the hard drive so unless you cloned all partitions on the old drive you might have omitted it. Fortunately it can be downloaded and installed on the hard drive or you can even make a bootable UEFI thumb drive.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5405106&swItemId=ob_125304_1&swEnvOid=415...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for that information! Worked perfectly!

HP Recommended

Hi, would you know if a hard drive hardware kit (hard drive bracket) is still need to add a 2.5in drive into the system? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.