Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I insert an SD card into the laptop reader, nothing happens. I bought a Sony SD card reader that connects via USB and it works perfectly with the SD card, so I know it's not the SD card. The reader might be broken or I might need a new device driver. However, when I look at Device Manager, I cannot determine which device it is, assuming it's even listed. There are no missing device drivers as would be indicated by a '!' in a yellow triangle. I would like to know from any owner of a laptop the text for their SD card reader in Device Manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most likely the card reader is no good.

If it needed a driver, there would be a device listed in the device manager labeled as a Base System Device.

There should be a SD Host controller device manager category if the SD card was working, and then when you insert a SD card, a portable device category should pop up.

In any event, here is the SD card reader driver for your notebook...give it a try and see what happens.

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63637.exe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most likely the card reader is no good.

If it needed a driver, there would be a device listed in the device manager labeled as a Base System Device.

There should be a SD Host controller device manager category if the SD card was working, and then when you insert a SD card, a portable device category should pop up.

In any event, here is the SD card reader driver for your notebook...give it a try and see what happens.

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63637.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and the driver.

Yeah, the drive appears to be toast. I installed the driver, but nothing new appeared in Device Manager. The drive must be a zombie because I would have expected the driver installation to fail if the drive was completely dead.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that the driver didn't get the card reader to work when you inserted a SD card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.