Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab153nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop's E Drive no longer recognizes loaded discs.  If I plug a compatible external DVD/CD drive into a USB port, do I also have to do anything to disable the built-in E Drive?  If so, what action(s)?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No. You can leave it as is.

You can go to the Device Manager and disable the drive if you want to.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

No. You can leave it as is.

You can go to the Device Manager and disable the drive if you want to.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Can you recommend a durable external drive of this type?  I bought a cheap one online that couldn't even detect a blank CD disc.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Sure.

Sony is a stellar brand in my book. Great price as well.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0VN-012P-00012?Description=external%20dvd%20rewriter&cm_re=external_dvd%20r...

HP Recommended

The Amazon listed drive was the one that failed on me!

HP Recommended

Interesting. Well Amazon will take it on return.

Did you try multiple DVDs?

The  Sony unit will work.

HP Recommended

I did return the Amazon one for credit.  Its specs and appearance are very much like your Sony.  I wonder if non-Sony versions of this design are under lesser quality control.

HP Recommended

The non-Sony units are probably mostly Chinese, with the exception of the LG Korean branded drives.

LG is also a brand I recommend. I have had their HDTV units before and they were well made.

The Chinese units are not likely to have the strict quality control that Japanese external drives do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.