HP Zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i just bought a cheap laptop (390€) with pretty good specs for its price

CPU Intel Core i7-4910MQ 2,90Ghz

Memory 32GB 

Screen 15,6" 1920x1080 IPS

512GB SSD

GPU Nvidia Quadro K2100M

1 Express Card 54mm, 1 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 Thunderbolt, 1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Kensington Lock,

1 Docking Station Port, Audio Connections: 3.5 mm combo , Card Reader: SD reader , 1 SmartCard, 1 Fingerprint Reader

I don't know anything about external GPUs but i'm wondering if it would be possible to switch the current one with something better for gaming purposes and which would be the best options then. All the gaming laptops i checked were almost triple the price and barely any better apart from the GPU.
And as a side note, i do own a gaming desktop myself. This laptop will be a present for my wife since hers is much worse in comparison but would be good to know if i can upgrade it to a state where it can run the newer games, even if in minimum settings.
(her current laptop specs)
image_2019_10_09T17_01_09_023Z.png

3 REPLIES 3
Level 19
Level 19
78,201 77,608 9,542 20,654
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

External GPU for HP Zbook 15 G2

@Cilwer wrote:

... 1 Express Card 54mm, 1 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 Thunderbolt, 1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Kensington Lock,

1 Docking Station Port, Audio Connections: 3.5 mm combo , Card Reader: SD reader , 1 SmartCard, 1 Fingerprint Reader

@Cilwer 

Given it has Thunderbolt port which is a good candidate for an eGPU such as

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/omenaccelerator/overview.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
41,680 40,114 6,279 10,921
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Its also one of the few laptops with a removeable upgradeable and replaceable internal MXM form factor video card. Since yours has an MXM video card already you have the cooling fan and heatsink hardware and all you would have to do is get a more powerful MXM video card and install it. It can be accessed from the service panel. Post back if you want to discuss further as MXM video cards are a bit of a tough subject to deal with. They are not universally interchangeable like desktop video cards. 

Cilwer
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It was more of a "in the future" idea that i wanted to have an answer for right now.
So external and internal upgrades are both an option which is good to know
I appreciate the replies and will deal with that problem in details when the time comes.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation