Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need to connect an external usb smart card reader. Does this laptop accept this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your laptop does not have a TPM. So using a smart card reader for access to secure sites is not impossible but becomes more difficult. You need to check with the manufacturer of the reader and with the IT staff for the site you want to access and just ask can I make this work without a TPM module?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

We will need the model number. X360 convertible covers a lot of different laptops. Do you want to use the smart card reader for security? Generally that requires that the laptop have a TPM (Trusted Platform Module). HP business units tend to have that and Pavilions not as much. 

HP Recommended

The model is:  14-ba051cl. I need it to access secure dod websites

HP Recommended

Your laptop does not have a TPM. So using a smart card reader for access to secure sites is not impossible but becomes more difficult. You need to check with the manufacturer of the reader and with the IT staff for the site you want to access and just ask can I make this work without a TPM module?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.