Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

I purchased this laptop on March 14, 2020. A week or so ago, my laptop shut down while I was on it and restarted. It went to a screen that I couldn't get it to do anything after it got to that screen. I called HP and spoke with an employee on Friday March 12, 2021. At first she said that my laptop was not under warranty. I emailed her a screenshot of my receipt showing my date of purchase as March 14, 2020. She had me run a test. She said it was a software issue with the operating system and I needed to download Windows 10 on a flashdrive and reinstall it. I had to leave for work so I got my case number ([personal info removed]) and got off the call. I spoke with an IT guy at work and explained what had happened and the conversation I had with the HP Support person. He said he could reinstall Windows 10 for me. He came back and told me that it hadn't fixed the problem and he ran a big test. The test concluded that the Hard drive/ssd optimized dst check failed. I got the failure ID: 91716M-9R0AJ6-MFPXGK-61W603. My product ID: 8DU55UA#ABA. What are my options now and what do I need to do? I am a student and need my laptop and I am so disappointed that I haven't even had it a year and it doesn't work any more.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Notebook 14-dq1040wm Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It appears that the 256 GB NVMe M.2 drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the M.2 SSD removal and replacement procedure.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 14 Laptop PC

After you replace the SSD you can use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Where or how do I get the 256 gb nvme m.2 drive? Due to the fact that this happened before my 1 year mark of purchasing my laptop, does the warranty cover it? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't work for or represent HP, the only suggestion I can offer would be to call them back and tell HP you need a new drive and give them the failure code.

Hopefully they will replace it under the warranty, but most likely they will ask you to send in your notebook for repairs.

Otherwise, you can just buy a 250 GB or 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD on Amazon.

I believe the most popular model is the Samsung Evo 970.

Amazon.com: Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive ...

The HP replacement 256 GB drive is this one...

L61959-001 - Hewlett-packard (HP) - SSD Hard Drive 256GB PCIe NVMe Value | Impact Computers

HP Recommended

Paul, you were awesome!

Unfortunately this experience has made me decide to never purchase another HP again. I just got off the phone with their customer support and found out that my case had been closed out and I am one day out of warranty even though I reported this issue on Friday when it was under warranty. The hardware tech transferred me to smartfriend saying there was absolutely nothing he can do because even though I had called and reported the issue on Friday and sent a follow up email to the person I had spoken with that included the attachment of the hardware failure, it was out of warranty. Then the smartfriend person said they did not have my harddrive and told me to contact a repair center. I am beyond frustrated. I will tell everyone I know to not buy HP. This is horrible customer service. My laptop did not break today. I have a documented history that it was needing repair before my warranty expired. 

HP Recommended

That is pretty inflexible of them.

I suggest that you contact the HP executive team at the link below, give them your closed out case number, and explain the circumstances surrounding your current dilemma.

You have nothing to lose at this point.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.