Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not two days ago, my laptop operated normally. Then suddenly, yesterday, I started receiving a battery capacity alert from HP upon starting my computer:

"HP Battery Alert
The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low.
For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced."

Once the computer was powered on, the battery indicator said the battery had 100% charge, but within a few minutes the battery would deplete completely and then shut itself off. I ran HP's battery diagnostic from HP Recovery Manager, and it informed me that the battery had failed. I also ran the HP battery diagnostic from within the UEFI. This diagnostic immediately found that the battery had failed, too. I attempted to recalibrate the battery indicator (in case the battery monitor thought the battery had no charge when it still had some and was causing premature shut-off). The recalibration also failed, and as a result the computer cannot determine how much charge is left in the battery (when I mouse over the battery indicator, it says "unknown remaining"). However, now that the battery monitor cannot measure the state of the battery, it is no longer shutting off the laptop automatically when the battery level gets critically low.

HP's diagnostic informed me that the battery is now only capable of holding 8% of its original capacity. With the battery monitor disabled, I have proved this to be false. Now, I can run my laptop for hours without plugging it in, as I could just a few days ago, before this battery failure nonsense.

Why did HP detect a battery failure when, ostensibly, the battery still works fine? What steps can I take to eliminate these battery warnings and regain normal function of the battery monitor? I have not made any modifications to the machine's hardware or anything of the sort; the only important change made to the computer was when I upgraded from the stock Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about a year and a half ago, and I updated the BIOS today before running the battery diagnostics.

I would also like to know why the battery thinks it is "failing," when it worked perfectly fine until yesterday? As HP's helpful battery utility noted, battery capacity degrades slowly over time; so why this sudden "failure"? Furthermore, I am already convinced that this is not a legitimate battery failure, and it is only a misdiagnosis by HP's built in tools. Surely, HP is not scamming its paying customers by imposing artificial limits on the lifespans of its batteries? From my perspective, this is as likely an explanation as any and one I will not abandon until a representative from HP helps explain or rectify the situation. This was not a cheap computer; it deserves more than two years of use, and I am certainly not going to pay to replace the battery, as HP's documentation suggests, when I know it still works fine.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to get this problem solved quickly. I greatly rely on this machine.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @nobear, how do you do ?

Please, use the HP Support Assistant and realize a general update (bios, firmwares and drivers):

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

And...

Realize the step by step of document below:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04700771

I hope that helps !
Smiley Happy

Can I ask you a favor ?

If the question is clarified, mark my answer as "resolved" and click on the icon of the "hand" to provide "congratulations" in recognition.

Have a nice week !
Smiley Very Happy

I´m a volunteer in the HP Forum !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.