Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15t-aq200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought my x360 in early 2017 and I stopped using it around late 2018 because the fan started to have a grinding noise.

I started using it again around mid-2020 when quarantine started. The computer was fine until about 2 months ago the fan noises started again. 

I've opened the laptop numerous times to check if there are any obstructions and came out with no results each time. My warranty is expired and I have no clue what to do.

I have the parts number for the fan, but I have yet to find it on the HP parts center website. I was on hold for an hour last night trying to get help but I didn't even get to talk to someone because they "closed".

See videos of the grinding noise below. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well done for helping yourself and learning, every step you took was for your own benefit when you were willing to help yourself first then ask for help. It's great to take control and get through it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It could be the fan itself failing, it wobbles as the bearings fails and makes noise.  If you are interested, there are teardown videos for that model on youtube and the fan seems to be easily accessible  and you could change it out. Be careful opening the case as too many people use screwdrivers to split the case and that can cause bends in the plastic and breaking of clips. You can get pry tools cheap or guitar plectrums are great or icecream sticks cut to shape.  Be careful of the screws too as if you use the wrong screwdriver it is easy to bald them. A flat x head is best, rather than a sharp one.  

HP Recommended

I have the correct tools to open the case, I have opened it multiple times already but nothing seems off. I am going to try opening the case and turn the system on to try and see if there's something wrong with the bearings. If I want to replace the fan could I just buy any model that's listed with the same parts number as the factory one (ebay, amazon, etc)?

HP Recommended

Yes, just match the part number and go for a new one, second hand is not worth the work. 

There will be some tape over the join between the heat pipe and fan. Take that off carefully so you can put it back on. Sometimes there is a filter in there, you can take it out and check if anything is stuck between the fan and the heat pipe end.  

If you blow the fan with compressed air you might hear the bearing. Don't worry about what you hear about compressed air and fans. If you like you can disconnect the fan from the board first. Be careful to lift the connector out rather than pull the wires, lift by the plastic bit. I'm sure you're fine it's just to say to be sure.  If you are changing the fan you may need or want to re paste the cup also. 

HP Recommended

Would this be ok? I can’t find it on the HP parts website so I have to outsource.  BAY Direct CPU Cooling Fan Replacement(4-Pin) for HP M6-AR M6-AR004DX M6-AQ003dx M6-AQ005dx M6-AQ004... 

HP Recommended

I can't get that link where I'm from.  As long as you con return it you should be ok. 

HP Recommended

Ok thanks, I will order and replace the current fan then update the thread. Hopefully it fixes it!

HP Recommended

Well done for helping yourself and learning, every step you took was for your own benefit when you were willing to help yourself first then ask for help. It's great to take control and get through it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.