Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy laptop L8Y93AV. I just installed the latest Windows updates and now my fingerprint reader is totally inoperative, It does not flash or respond at all even when tying to puy in a new fingerprint. PIN sign in works fine. Short of removing the updates (I actually believe they are supposed to increase security. ) now what?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi ,

You might be able to use this Validity Sensor Driver:

sp72114 Validity Sensor V 4.5.289.0 

Link : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72114.exe

In general, Series 6 HP SimplePass can run on Windows 10.  It was, and continues to be, robust and sturdy code.

If you have truly lost the Series 6 HP SimplePass program AND if you do not have an Export of your Webcards (website / password backup) -- then you might decide to switch to the newer, and still supported, Series 8 HP SimplePass program.

Series 8 HP SimplePass is not an "upgrade" from the older Series 6 version of the program; it is different code - that is, a completely different rendition of the SimplePass product.

Series 8 HP SimplePass is written by Softex.

Series 6 HP SimplePass was written by AuthenTec.

You may, of course, decide to try and run Series 6 HP SimplePass; the program may run with your newer Validity Sensor Driver.

Series 6 HP SimplePass:

sp63224 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.276 Win7-8

Link : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63224.exe

Series 8 HP SimplePass:

sp71729 HP SimplePass V8.01.46A W7-W10 32/64bit

Link : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71729.exe

General rules:

Pay attention to the Order of Events when (re)installing your driver and / or software:

• Sign-in Options matter – if the system supports Native Windows fingerprint logon, you must assign and configure a PIN to enable the fingerprint sign-in
  • Validity Sensor Driver First >> Reboot
  • SimplePass Software Next >> Reboot

Reference:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Link : https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=56113256B09443F6&resid=56113256B09443F6!25632&app=WordPdf

r-K

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Here is the dumb part - after I posted here, of course. After the update,  I restarted  a few times. Same problem.  I posted here, restarted again, and all is well. I guess the post fixed it.... Typical Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.