Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4100 CTO Select Edition entertainment notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just within the past few days my fingerprint scanner stopped working. i have been running Windows 10 Pro for over a year now with no issues. I have tried all the solutions in your forum, but none of them work.  My device manager shows an unknown device since this problem started. I have tried uninstalling both the unknown device, and also the validity scanner, but upon reboot the problem still exists. none of the other resolutions in your forum help either. I have reinstalled the software several times with no luck.

I want to download and install the drivers, but can not find them on the HP site. Can someone please give me a link to the driver for this device, so I can resolve the issue?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello saulmollock,

The unknown device may be the fingerprint sensor.

Please post a Hardware ID so that a specific driver can be found. 

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Right-click the unknown device and select Properties
  3. Go to the Details tab
  4. Property > Hardware Ids
  5. Post the ID listed at the very top (should be the longest one)

I'll provide you with the only fingerprint sensor driver HP provides for this model. Because it is for Windows 7 64-bit, make sure to download the file, right-click and select Troubleshoot Compatibility and go through the steps to inform Windows that it worked on Windows 7.

Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52354.exe

Regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello saulmollock,

The unknown device may be the fingerprint sensor.

Please post a Hardware ID so that a specific driver can be found. 

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Right-click the unknown device and select Properties
  3. Go to the Details tab
  4. Property > Hardware Ids
  5. Post the ID listed at the very top (should be the longest one)

I'll provide you with the only fingerprint sensor driver HP provides for this model. Because it is for Windows 7 64-bit, make sure to download the file, right-click and select Troubleshoot Compatibility and go through the steps to inform Windows that it worked on Windows 7.

Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52354.exe

Regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

HP Recommended

This is what I got from Hardware IDs on the unknown device

ACP\VEN_HPQDEV_0004

ACPI\HPQ0004

*HPQ0004

I am running Windows 10 Pro, and the file for the validity Sensor Driver you send in your first reply would not install. I tried running as Administrator with no luck either.  The led does flash on the scanner until I run my fingerprint over it, then it stops blinking, and nothing.

HP Recommended

Eddy,

I didn't follow your instructions properly the first time. I re-read, and followed exactly the second time, and this resolved the fingerprint scanner issue. However, the unknown device that I listed in my last reply still shows up. Do you have a driver I can load for that issue? I have no clue what it is.

HP Recommended

Hello saulmollock,

I'm glad to hear that your fingerprint reader is up and working. I would appreciate it if you accepted my answer as the solution so that others can find it since this was the original intent of your question.:smileywink:

In terms of the unknown device, try this driver package:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

Regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help Eddy! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.