Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

As I said earlier JayDee88, you seem to know what you're doing. I can't see anyting that you haven't done correctly OR something that I would have done and you haven't. I've never heard of a separate register that has to be changed to allow changes to another register (on HP laptops). Theoretically it's possible, but I've never ever seen one mentioned anywhere.... These registers can either be altered with the appropriate tools (with whatever consequences) OR are completely inaccessible and locked down. Fan registers (in my experience) never fall into the second category. If you find the right register, you get to change variable fan speed.

Therefore, the only still useful part of my suggestions above (and what I would do) is revert the system to its original state temporarily and see what the fan register situation is like there. To be honest, the only thing that makes sense seeing your screenshots is the original post by Huffer that: "BIOS controls the fan speed and its confused by what you have installed so just pegs the fan to full speed".  It seems to me an inappropriate value is written to fan register and won't let you access it in any way. Of course I could be wrong. This is why my last suggestion makes sense......

HP Recommended

It looks like today i will change GPU 🙂

I really want to find solution 🙂

I will post feedback...

Just asking... does flashing bios make any changes to register meanings?

HP Recommended

If you mean: does changing BIOS version make laptop use different registers for different things than before.....

than NO. But changing BIOS versions can change the use of these registers, like with new fan speed profiles (temperature thresholds and fan speed changes) or setting different voltage profiles/blocking access to them, etc, etc. Why?

HP Recommended

Just to know that updating bios is not the problem. Becouse i update it 2-3 times. I tought it can allso change register fuctions... but ok if it just changes the properties

HP Recommended

Exactly, properties. And even these changes I described were in much later generations of laptops.

This seems to me (as I already said above) like a bug due to the new gpu you installed, leading to a stuck register or something like that. You'll know more when you downgrade. These kinds of bugs are usually solved with newer BIOS versions that come out, which obviously won't happen here. Mods like the one you've attempted are about as FAR from plug and play anyone can get! 😉

HP Recommended

It looks like you write... a bug... or something... i supose? It really isn't plug and play.

I dowgrade GPU. Fan is working correctly.

Workload temps and fan respond 100% as it should. 

i try with fan controller but no luck. 

Funny, when enabled it does interfer speed... it changes randomly from minute to minute. Even with workload on CPU. If disabled normal automatic kicks in emidietly and do the thing.

All this within changeing the slider from 0-255 values on reg. #46. 

Strange is that non of registers change acordingly to the speed of fan.

3-4 are fast changeing like temps,

Some 5 slow with just couple velues

Some 5 are just for a second like trigers

And Bios is now back to snappy. With Nvidia GPU and fan problems bios was slow in menues. 

Does this all have to do anything with "graphic bios"?

HP Recommended

Yes some of the workarounds seen on MXM workgroup sites are alternate video BIOS. But flashing BIOS on a video card particularly a laptop MXM video card is not easy to do. 

HP Recommended

The GPU is an integral part of the system and in fact is on the same level with the CPU. Any kinds of problems with the GPU can cause the system to slow down to a painful crawl.

Even though hirschmann stopped working on NBFC in the late '19s, there is a fork available that is better suited for newer OS versions (and newer cpus). You should try it (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-G9-Firefly-LOUD-FAN-almost-always-running/m-p/84...) because this solves erratic behaviour by the NBFCservice.   

HP Recommended

Nice suggestions.

I will try this fan controll to se if it works.

And i am allso thinking with vBios.  

I figure out that the bios version is related to ''Dell''. I bought this uset GPU from e-bay so it was maybe in ''Dell'' laptop?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/232439/232439

So vBios is Dell and it have (i supose) better comunication with ''Dell'' laptop motherboard.

I find on internet a ''HP'' vBios and its 2016 version (latest). It's risky i know, for vBios even more but maybe i can do it 🙂

Funny and there is allso ''nVidia'' vBios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/238241/238241

I checked the ''deviceID'' (10DE 13F9) in Bios Internals

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/247815/247815

Bios Clocks:

GPU 975 Mhz

Memory 1253Mhz

Boost 1012Mhz

All matched from GPU-Z analis and vBios Internals

GM204 Processor

Variant: N16E-Q3-A1

So maybe i can just backup bios  and flash vBios with HP one si both Bios have same manufacturer.

I think this could be the best if will it work?

Any ideas about that and coments before i go in 🙂

HP Recommended

I flashed the vBios. So i got this ''HP'' version. Entering bios on startap is snappy an allso in menue, like with oroginal ATI GPU. So this is better. But fan stil nothing... Going for more digging

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.