Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13,3"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

My "greater/lesser" button on my keyboard suddenly stopped working and I have no idea why. 

I have tried changing the language input and restarting but with no luck.

I did have it sent in for service a couple of weeks ago where they changed the battery and fans, but I can't remember if it stopped working right after that or if it was later.

Dont know if this matters, but I can use the "greater/lesser" sign on the on-screen touch keyboard..

Please help! 🙂 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Krissaure, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tried connecting an external keyboard and check if it works?

For now, let us run a test on the keyboard

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. Perform Component Test > Keyboard. Share the result on your next post.

If the test pass, proceed to the next step

Go to Device manager > Expand Keyboard > Uninstall the drivers available

Reboot the PC

Check for the issue.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

The keyboard test passed, and i tried uninstalling the driver but it did not help.. I have both the display language and keyboard language set to Norwegian. 

Also, i don't know it its related, but I have gotten a bluescreen a few times a day the last three days.
Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
What failed: NETIO.SYS

Thats what i got last time, im not sure if it was the same stopcode everytime though.. 

Do you have any other suggestions for what i could do?

Thank you so much for answering!! 

HP Recommended

@Krissaure

Thank you for the detailed response. Let us try these steps to resolve the Blue screen error.

Use System File Checker

Right-click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (Admin), type in the following command to run system file checker and then hit Enter.

sfc /scannow

Restart your system after the scan is completed.

Update, Rollback or Disable Network Drivers

The main drivers that might be a cause for this particular file will be listed under the section of Network Adapters inside of the Device Manager. So you need to reinstall the network drivers for your motherboard. If you recently updated these drivers, roll back and see. If you did not, then update these drivers.

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey! Again, sorry for the super late response from me, I have been very busy with school..

The bluescreen issue is resolved, but i still have a problem with the greater/lesser button unfortunately.

Thank you so much for your help so far, you are awesome 🙂

HP Recommended

@Krissaure,

I recommend you uninstall the keyboard driver from the device manager and then restart the computer and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this didn't work either..

I did notice that the button works when in OneNote as a hotkey if i hold it in while pressing a number (ex "greate/lesser" + 1 gives a box, and "greater/lesser" + 2 gives a star) 
So it seems like it is working, it just doesn't want to give me ">" or "<" (i copied this from google)

Do you have any other suggestions about what it might be? I greatly appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

@Krissaure

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.