Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 470G4

I am about to order a probook 470 G4 with 256GB SSD. I want to add the harddisk from my old laptop that recently died to add some diskspace in case I need it (I have the disk anyhow). Looking at the service manuals for the G3 and G4 versions of the Probook 470 I see 2 different numbers for the brackets:

In the G3 manual I see 828147-001, in the G4 manual it says 906002-001. The part numbers for the hardisks are however the same for both revisions of the 470. That suggests that this is the same or similar part.

I cannot find the number mentioned for the G4 online (except in Eastern Europe). the G3 version is however available here in the Netherlands. can somebody explain the difference? Will the 828147-001 fit in the G4?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When all else fails look at the pictures-G4 and then G3

Just as I described above, these devices are similar in that they are a rectangular metal frame that is screwed to a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive, but they are different. See how the mounting holes and flanges are different? They mount into the laptop chassis in different ways. You could perhaps take a set of needlenose pliers and remove the little flanges and screwholes and make one of these work in the space designed for the other, but that would defeat the purpose of securely bolting the hard drive to the frame so it transfers shock to the frame and not into the hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No the hard drive caddy is specifically machined to fit in an engineered mounting environment so they are not interchangeable. They look similar but have very specific little slots and flanges to fit the motherboard. These are always very hard parts to find on newer machines until the knockoff shops have had a while to look it over and machine a duplicate for the market. HP is not good about making upgrade parts available for the business models since they are made in much lower volume and any extra parts are hoarded by the HP repair facilities. 

The hard drive parts are the same because all laptop hard drives are externally identical...same mounting hole placement thickness, etc. That part of the caddy is the same; the way the hard drive is attached in it but the mounting to the motherboard and chassis is different. 

HP Recommended

Thanks foryour answer.

Your statement:

The hard drive parts are the same because all laptop hard drives are externally identical...same mounting hole placement thickness, etc. That part of the caddy is the same; the way the hard drive is attached in it but the mounting to the motherboard and chassis is different. 

is what I always understood (I have quite a bit of experience on computer HW, so I KNOW that I need a bracket made to fit in the laptop (the HD mounting holes will be reasonably standard)

What confuses me is the statements:

In the G4:

Hard drive cover 906002-001
NOTE: Spare part number
The hard drive cover is included in the Hard Drive Hardware Kit.

and for the G3

Hard Drive Hardware Kit, includes: 828147-001
Hard drive bracket
Screws (not illustrated):

So that leads me to believe that the harddisks normally come with a bracket (see note below). And as the part nrs are exactly the same, that the G3 bracket will fit in the G4 too. But why then the different part nrs for the brackets. Could that be that the G3 bracket set includes the screws, while the G4 manual list only the bracket?

On the web I see the drives sometimes offered as RAW drive without bracket and without the raw indocation with bracket... I am still confused as I would expect that a drive that comes with bracket would  fit both models

HP Recommended

When all else fails look at the pictures-G4 and then G3

Just as I described above, these devices are similar in that they are a rectangular metal frame that is screwed to a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive, but they are different. See how the mounting holes and flanges are different? They mount into the laptop chassis in different ways. You could perhaps take a set of needlenose pliers and remove the little flanges and screwholes and make one of these work in the space designed for the other, but that would defeat the purpose of securely bolting the hard drive to the frame so it transfers shock to the frame and not into the hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your patience. this indeed nails it. Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.