Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6002er
Linux

Hello!

I want to replace HHD(TOSHIBA MK1059GS) with SSD. Now my notebook has controller: SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode].

I can't find information about what SATA standard it supports: sata 1, 2 or 3. I need that to know is there any benefits of this modification.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@andrew_filatov 

The DV6 would be at least SATA II, if not III -- and regardless, that will be improved performance of an HDD.

When you do that replacement, if you get an SDD of the same capacity as the HDD, the cloning operation will be a lot simpler.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-SSD drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Typical USB-to-SSD adapter:

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg
Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank for answer!

Why you call SDD, rather than SSD?

I can't understand - how can i learn exactly, what version of sata is installed?

The output of this "dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'":

ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300) (it's DVD, i think)
ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300) (it's HDD, i think)

The output of this "dmesg | grep -i --color ahci":

ahci 0000:00:11.0: version 3.0
ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0200 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0xa impl SATA mode
ahci 0000:00:11.0: flags: 64bit ncq sntf ilck pm led clo pmp pio slum part sxs

As i suppose, i have SATA controller version III (strings "version 3.0" and "2 ports 6 Gbps"). Am i right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.