Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 13-d020nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I use a HP 13-d020nd notebook since 2016 (The Netherlands). Recently, I upgraded the SSD, from the Liteon 256 GB to a 1 TB Crucial MC500 SSD (SATA M.2 2280SS). It works perfect, but after the SSD upgrade it is badly overheating and the fan is louder than normal. There are no software issues though. I am afraid the overheated laptop wil affect many parts of the latop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I asked it to HP The Netherlands on Facebook and they - disappointingly - reacted that only these models are suitable as an SSD for HP 13-d020nd:

512-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 814224-001
256-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 812708-001
128-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 820547-001
128-GB, M2.2280, SATA-3 829985-001

Thus I removed the 1 TB SSD which I used for the upgrade en put the old 256 GB Liteon SSD back into the laptop 😞 I am very disappointed that it can not work properly with a 1 TB SSD.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Platonis,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tested the computer with the old hard drive to make sure that the overheating is caused by the new SSD?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics card from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then install all the Windows updates (Including optional) and check.

Here is how it is done.

1. Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Windows Update.
  2. Click Check for updates to prompt your PC to scan for the latest updates. The update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
  3. Click Restart Now to restart your PC and complete the installation process.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I followed these steps. Unfortunately, none of these had effect. I have the latest versions of BIOS and graphics already.

HP Recommended

Let's try to run an extensive system test from F2 and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I followed these steps and there seems to be a problem. Here is the result :

PSX_20190822_003139.jpg

I will appreciate your help. 

HP Recommended

@Platonis,

As this is a hardware issue, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Hope this helps!

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Well I contacted HP on Facebook, I hope they can help me further. If not, I will post that here and if they come with an solution I will post that here also. Maybe that will be helpful for other users facing the same problem.

HP Recommended

@Platonis

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I asked it to HP The Netherlands on Facebook and they - disappointingly - reacted that only these models are suitable as an SSD for HP 13-d020nd:

512-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 814224-001
256-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 812708-001
128-GB, M2, SATA-3, supporting TLC 820547-001
128-GB, M2.2280, SATA-3 829985-001

Thus I removed the 1 TB SSD which I used for the upgrade en put the old 256 GB Liteon SSD back into the laptop 😞 I am very disappointed that it can not work properly with a 1 TB SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.