Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dw0077nr

I need help with my laptop's fan. Whenever I close the lid on the laptop and it goes to sleep the fan will act like it's trying to spin up then stops. It repeats this until the battery dies. But doesn't do it when it's plugged in and charging. I have tried messing around with power plan settings, did a fresh install of windows, fully updated windows, and individually removed components to see if anything was failing. I have upgraded to two SSD's, upgraded the ram, reapplied new thermal compound, and there isn't much to change in the bios, which I had updated as well. next to trying a new fan, I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @mc477,

Welcome to the HP support community.

Provide the laptop serial number or the product number for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello, the serial number is CND92269w2.

HP Recommended

Hi @mc477,

Thank you for your response, 

It's not uncommon for laptops to turn on their fans when the lid is closed, as this helps with ventilation and cooling. However, if you're noticing that the fan is trying to start when the lid is closed but isn't able to, there could be a few potential reasons why:

• Dust and debris buildup: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate inside your laptop and obstruct the fan's blades, preventing it from spinning properly. Try cleaning out your laptop's vents and fan with compressed air.
  • Software issue: Sometimes, software issues can cause your fan to behave abnormally. Try updating your laptop's BIOS and drivers to see if that resolves the problem.
  • Overheating: If your laptop is overheating, it may try to start the fan when the lid is closed to cool down. Make sure your laptop's vents aren't obstructed and consider investing in a cooling pad to help regulate its temperature.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.